Your Guilty Pleasures

Harry Potter, books and movies. I am a shameless Harry Potter fanatic. When the book series was first rolling out, and everyone was going apeshit over it, I heaped more than my fair share of ridicule and scorn upon it. Then came a moment when I had run out of books to read, and there sat "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I finished that one and "Chamber of Secrets" pretty quickly, but "Prisoner of Azkaban" was what officially got me hooked on the whole franchise.

The fact that they cast Alan Rickman as Severus Snape didn't exactly break my heart, either. That man could charge $19.95/min just to read the phone book and I'd pay it. :D

Ok, this goes nowhere else.

For ABBA fans, Australian movie: "Muriel's Wedding". Total chick flick. Great soundtrack.

Totally lost my man card for the day.

But had a gf at the time who was a total ABBA fan. WOW is all I'll say.

Oh.... other music.... not really a guilty pleasure, but a band made up of 3 veterans and the son of a veteran... Madison Rising.
Lots of hype for their version of the Star Spangled banner, but I'm partial to Hallowed Ground and Before the Hyphens came.

I've seen them live... and had a few too many beers with them in Las Vegas... pretty decent guys. Don't listen to their music if you are a liberal, your head will explode.

Harry Potter, books and movies. I am a shameless Harry Potter fanatic. When the book series was first rolling out, and everyone was going apeshit over it, I heaped more than my fair share of ridicule and scorn upon it. Then came a moment when I had run out of books to read, and there sat "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I finished that one and "Chamber of Secrets" pretty quickly, but "Prisoner of Azkaban" was what officially got me hooked on the whole franchise.

The fact that they cast Alan Rickman as Severus Snape didn't exactly break my heart, either. That man could charge $19.95/min just to read the phone book and I'd pay it. :D

I read the books and POA was a turning point for me too. My oldest son is the same age as Daniel Radcliffe, so he matured at the same rate as Harry, Hermione and Ron, and that made the whole HP experience even better. And I'm with you on Alan Rickman, the only man who can make two mundane words memorable: "Get. Out."

My wife identifies with Mrs Weasley and has delivered a number of "howlers" to our sons. :D

Oh.... other music.... not really a guilty pleasure, but a band made up of 3 veterans and the son of a veteran... Madison Rising.
Lots of hype for their version of the Star Spangled banner, but I'm partial to Hallowed Ground and Before the Hyphens came.

I've seen them live... and had a few too many beers with them in Las Vegas... pretty decent guys. Don't listen to their music if you are a liberal, your head will explode.

Just looked them up on iTunes. After fighting through the clearly liberal conspiracy that kept shutting it down when I tried to play their songs, I got it to work. Good shit, really good shit.

Back