'Zero Dark Thirty' hunts for Bin Laden -- and more

I'm fucking amazed, just floored at all this bullshit... I'm setting here thinking WTF! I'm not even close to what this guy has supposedly done. No where near, just a hang around Joe slug shit-bag CA dude. But I have done some shit. I followed my security out brief, signed the documents, went through the process on several things. I don't know even 2% of what this guy does and there's no fucking way I would put myself out there. They counselled me as I walked out the door and in my face about opening my mouth. Why in the fuck would you even think about talking about this shit or an association with it. Maybe I just don't get it or perhaps its so far beyond me that I just can't get my head wrapped around it.

I still feel more and more like someone is pulling someone's leg.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dont-feel-too-sorry-for-the-seal-who-shot-bin-laden-2013-2

ublished by the Center For Investigative Reporting in conjunction with Esquire, "The Shooter" by Phil Bronstein describes how this American hero has been neglected:
[T]he Shooter will discover soon enough that when he leaves after sixteen years in the Navy, his body filled with scar tissue, arthritis, tendinitis, eye damage, and blown disks, here is what he gets from his employer and a grateful nation:​
Nothing. No pension, no health care, and no protection for himself or his family.​
This passage, though dramatic, is less than accurate.
Perhaps the Shooter and Bronstein haven't heard of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which authorized five years of free health care for all combat veterans of Post 9/11 operations. As soon as servicemembers get out, they are covered under the Veterans Affairs health system and can walk into any VA-facility.
Bronstein responded to a query about this from Megan McCloskey at Stars and Stripes, saying, “No one ever told him that this is available." He went on to say there wasn’t space in the article to explain that the former SEAL’s lack of healthcare was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled.
This assertion coming from a servicemember who has been in the service for 16 years — especially with transition assistance classes designed specifically for educating veterans as they leave active duty, seems a bit far-fetched.

There wasn't enough space in this gazillion page article to present facts which would detract from our sensationalist "reporting." Additionally, presenting the facts would make the hero look a little thick in the brain housing group, further undermining our sensationalist scoop. We have the first interview with the guy, we can make him look however we want.

Why can't people just keep their mouth shut?

Seriously, you don't reach the top of your profession by being a complete bell end. So what happened, that has suddenly turned people into complete mongo's?

Jesus what a long article. This is what I took from it "Unlike former SEAL Team 6 member Matt Bissonnette (No Easy Day), they do not rush to write books or step forward publicly, because that violates the code of the "quiet professional." No we just agree to "novel like" write ups in a magazine...

In a corner, pouring drinks, he and I established some rules. He would consider talking to me only after his last, upcoming four-month deployment to Afghanistan had ended and he had exited the Navy. And he would not go public; he would not be named. That would be counter to the team's code, and it would also put a huge "kill me" target on his back.

If you don't want to be named, then don't come out. It's almost impossible that in this day and age ANYONE would think that once they agree to an interview, they won't be found out. When you make inflammatory statements (truthful or not) or have it implied by the author, that you have been abandoned by your country, goverment ect. I promise you that your identity will be found out and published.

The government does provide 180 days of transitional health-care benefits, but the Shooter is eligible only if he agrees to remain on active duty "in a support role," or become a reservist.

Then think about yourself and the family. Take the "support" role. Share your knowledge with the up and coming guys. Go to one of the reserve SEAL Teams, GET YOUR 20..... On second thought, let's just screw ourselves.. :rolleyes:

Either way, his life would not be his own. Instead, he'll buy private insurance for $486 a month, but some treatments that relieve his wartime pains, like $120 for weekly chiropractic care, are out-of-pocket.

Tricare only covers the expense at certain military bases. There are DC's that treat servicemen for free, I don't doubt that he could find one...seperated or not I'm sure something could be worked out.

Anyone who leaves early also gets no pension, so he is without income. Even if he had stayed in for the full twenty, his pension would have been half his base pay: $2,197 a month. The same as a member of the Navy choir.

That's why it's called a pension/retirement... It's not meant for you to build a new life with.

In his 16years in the Navy did he never know of ONE single person to retire? Or ETS..however it's called in the Navy? He talks about buying $3-400 sunglasses. No wonder he's in the hole.

What I'm wondering is, he apparently had suicidal thoughts along with drinking and Ambien, and they still allowed him to be in the unit?

Do you have any idea how many people you just described?

Besides, Ambien is chewed like tic-tacs over here. Doesn't mean I agree with it or condone it, but the number of guys and gals zonked out on Ambien is ridiculous.

I saw first hand what happens to some people when they take Ambien after drinking. It's not pretty, and may or may not lead to one or more of the following: mistaking an office cubical for a urinal; puking your guts out in an airplane terminal, on the bus taking you from the terminal to the plane, and on the plane; wanting to fight the most inoffensive captain in the whole unit; and setting fire to Euros on the plane, while it is in flight.

It did happen, thank GOD there were no pictures.

I think there is a case study here on the site that may or may not describe some of the shenanigans that did or did not happen on that trip.

Worst.FlighthomefromIraqorAfghanistan.Ever.

I saw first hand what happens to some people when they take Ambien after drinking. It's not pretty, and may or may not lead to one or more of the following: mistaking an office cubical for a urinal; puking your guts out in an airplane terminal, on the bus taking you from the terminal to the plane, and on the plane; wanting to fight the most inoffensive captain in the whole unit; and setting fire to Euros on the plane, while it is in flight.

How the hell did you make Lt Col? Mind you we had a Maj that got sauced up and bit a female Capt on the leg then growled like a dog, he still made Lt Col.

How the hell did you make Lt Col? Mind you we had a Maj that got sauced up and bit a female Capt on the leg then growled like a dog, he still made Lt Col.

Screw up and move up, right? ;-)

I wasn't the one doing any of the puking, fighting, peeing, or burning, which again may or may not have happened (statute of limitations?).

I was the guy in charge of the people fighting, puking, burning, and generally making drunken fools out of themselves. "I know! I'll give all these drunk guys Ambien, that'll make them sleepy and settle down!" :wall:

I did have an unfortunate incident that involved a night of drinking cider and a morning of throwing it up in my British friend's driveway when I was sent from Iraq to the UK for an important briefing, but that is a completely different story and not at all relevant to what is being discussed at the moment.

I would genuinely like this 100 times over if I could.

She probably deserved it. Majors don't do stuff like that on accident. At least he didn't mistake her for a fire hydrant.

There's got to be a lot more to this story (the one about the SEAL, not the one I hijacked this thread with). I can't believe for a minute that a guy with that much time in the SEALs doesn't have an exit strategy, especially if he's that close to retirement. This whole thing smacks of, "I'm the one who killed bin Laden, it was me all by myself, so I expect to be taken care of and coddled the rest of my life." This guy comes across as a self-serving narcissist and this whole story just makes the military in general look bad.

How would you like this headline all over the national news and the world press;

"SEAL who killed Bin Laden bitter, unaware of health coverage!"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/11/SEAL-who-killed-bin-laden-now-jobless/?test=latestnews

http://www.inquisitr.com/520956/SEAL-who-killed-bin-laden-bitter-over-health-benefits/

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/esquire-SEAL-bin-laden-151615575.html

http://www.ksdk.com/news/world/article/362538/28/Controversy-over-SEAL-who-shot-Osama-bin-Laden-

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/us-news/it...report-SEAL-who-killed-bin-laden-jobless-hurt

"Esquire’s SEAL story questioned by military newspaper"
Stars and Stripes contacted Bronstein, who told the paper that no one told the SEAL he was eligible for health care benefits. He also said that there wasn’t enough space in the Esquire article to, as Stars and Stripes put it, "explain that the former SEAL’s lack of health care was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled." In the Esquire piece, Bronstein also states that the SEAL was not given a pension. But according to the Stars and Stripes piece, no officer who serves less than 20 years gets a pension "unless he has to medically retire." Misinformation like this doesn’t help veterans,” Brandon Friedman, a former VA public affairs officer, told Stars and Stripes. “When one veteran hears in a high-profile story that another veteran was denied care, it makes him or her less likely to enroll in the VA system.”

Damn, I wonder how many phone calls he is getting right now and being called "DUMBASS!" I just occasionally post some invalidated, questionable stupid shit on forums. I would have to change my name and identity if this was me. There is no way I could ever live this down... You want to talk about hard to get a job, after this he maybe picking up trash. Better yet, he maybe a VA benefit counselor...

Back