Dieting and Living....

Lost 4 kilos in about a week. My GF has got onto some juju diet & I'm just tagging along. I'm the shit at the moment, two surfs a day, 6 km runs, bring it on. We both had to as we were hitting the piss pretty hard last year & needed to lose it.

Finally started to put some weight back on. Floating at #183-#185, strength conditioning is coming back, still hacking up shit from my lungs, but my appetite for the sauce has came back :thumbsup:

As far as nutrition goes did you keep the same routine? Added variables?

Two weeks back I totally screwed it up with two days of eating off plan and drinking, so that basically reset and had to re-gain traction. The paramour and I have a triathlon in a month so we've battened down the hatches and will remain on plan.

The ALS related video I posted earlier today is really fucking with my head.

Aside from being substantially more beer-related pounds overweight than I care to admit, I am in great health. There are myriad excuses I could list, but no, it's on me.

I had a knife-hand conversation with myself today, I'm into the second half of this planetary journey and shame the fuck on me if I find myself debilitated or hospitalized because of something I didn't do to prevent it, vs a random act of disease.

I am a planner, so tonight I create the path.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations about myself.

Aside from being substantially more beer-related pounds overweight than I care to admit, I am in great health. There are myriad excuses I could list, but no, it's on me.

I had a knife-hand conversation with myself today, I'm into the second half of this planetary journey and shame the fuck on me if I find myself debilitated or hospitalized because of something I didn't do to prevent it, vs a random act of disease.

I hear you. I have some low back pathology, had to get a nerve root injection and epidural steroid injection last week, and really can't exercise like I used to or want to. Subsequently, I have put on about 7 pounds. I need to get over the poor-me's and figure a way to exercise within my limits, eat better, and get rid of this growing stomach.

I am sure I'm late to the party with most of this- but my fitness pal (it's an under armour app) is great for nutritional tracking and monitoring your intake.

It's free (although the paid app really is well worth it) and it's highly useful. You can track your commonly eaten foods, recipes, snacks, etc. You can just scan the barcode, enter manually, or use your location to search the menu of whatever food you're eating. You can log exercise too (although I don't really use that function).

If you're looking to leverage a little technology to help you out, this is a really useful tool.

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

I am sure I'm late to the party with most of this- but my fitness pal (it's an under armour app) is great for nutritional tracking and monitoring your intake.

It's free (although the paid app really is well worth it) and it's highly useful. You can track your commonly eaten foods, recipes, snacks, etc. You can just scan the barcode, enter manually, or use your location to search the menu of whatever food you're eating. You can log exercise too (although I don't really use that function).

If you're looking to leverage a little technology to help you out, this is a really useful tool.

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

I use this app as well and love it. Another great feature is the ability to tailor the macronutrient proportions to your specific goals, whether it be losing, maintaining, or gaining weight. Can't recommend it enough.

Under Armour even sent me a $40 coupon for logging in an "impressive number of times" this month. Sweet!

I've been using MFP for awhile. I'm a beta tester, I was getting annoyed with it and tried using Fit Day...nope. There's another one out there that people like called Life Sum, don't like it either. MFP is just the best out there for this at this juncture and will probably remain so with Under Armour behind them.

It's free (although the paid app really is well worth it) and it's highly useful.

I used to use MFP almost religiously, and got results. Logged back in today for the first time in a few years and do not remember it being as high as $10/month for the premium stuff. Oh well, I paid my money and now I'll take my chances. Here's to getting back to food tracking....

Anyone gone on a ketogenic diet? My wife and I did paleo a year or two ago and I lost 30lbs through nothing but diet change before we fell off the wagon.

I get that diet is less about immediate results and more about consistency/lifestyle change, I'm just curious if anyone maintains a keto diet and what your results were.

Anyone gone on a ketogenic diet? My wife and I did paleo a year or two ago and I lost 30lbs through nothing but diet change before we fell off the wagon.

I get that diet is less about immediate results and more about consistency/lifestyle change, I'm just curious if anyone maintains a keto diet and what your results were.

I was on the Ketogenic diet for about 6 months, first few days were horrible after that I felt pretty good. I lost a lot of weight and my work outs eventually got consistent (Felt like no energy for a while).

However, Due to traveling to certain parts of the country for long periods of time where you can't be choosey on what you eat I eventually went back to my old ways but I still monitor how many carbs I am consuming and would like to try it again.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I am not a nutritionist and only gathered my limited knowledge from the internet however I can attest to my own personal experience or point you in the right direction for some good keto recipes!

P.s The best part of being on the keto diet long term is that my inner fatty was completely eradicated(until I stopped) and I no longer craved for my kryptonite that is ben n jerrys.

I'm not really a keto guy, you gotta get a ton of fat into your system and you may not be satiated. But there's a lot of good research out there for health, not necessarily for performance. But if it works it works.

I did a mostly ketogenic diet about 2 years ago and lost a little over 40 pounds over a period of around 8 - 9 months. Looking back I don't think ketogenic was the best dieting option seeing as at the same time I was really getting into running and weightlifting and ended up passing out a couple times and feeling lightheaded after a lot of my more intense workouts, which ended once I stopped keto. Now if I am looking to cut weight I like to maintain a manageable caloric deficit with intermittent fasting.

One of my floor mates (and future roommate) swears by keto and while on it still manages to maintain a high level of performance with his workouts without any issues. I guess either his body reacts better to keto or he knows something I don't about ketogenic dieting.

You can make a ketogenic diet work, though I personally wouldn't recommend it if you are going to be super active while on it.

It is another take on the popular high protein/no-low carb diet. It works, as they all do, but does take some discipline and proactive food planning.

It is another take on the popular high protein/no-low carb diet. It works, as they all do, but does take some discipline and proactive food planning.

Keto is a focus on high fat, medium protein, low carb. Something like about 70% fat, 20%-25% percent protein, and 5%-10% carbs. When I originally posted about trying to lose weight awhile ago this is the diet I did eating lots of microwave bacon haha. I eventually got it down right and saw some pretty good results but after about 15 pounds I stalled and my PT suffered tremendously. I usually now just try to have about a cup of carbs, some protein, and some veggies now and have been consistently losing weight.

Fascinating to me how easily liquid-calories sneak up on you. Over the past two year I have put on a shocking amount of weight. My diet has not really changed and I still work out on a semi-regular basis.

Took a hard look at myself and realized that the only significant change I can point to is that I have moved up from Miller Lite to IPA's. Because they taste so good, I find that I am also drinking more of them. Doing the math it does not take very long to add thousands, yes thousands of additional calories per week, just in beer!

Thought I would share this article I just read...

Liquid Calories - How Drinking Impacts Weight Gain

Back