Dieting and Living....

So for the most part I've stopped yo-yoing when I've gone to my girlfriends with a variety of solid PT plan and a set nutrition plan. Not sure what I did on Friday but I gained three pounds. What I did on Sunday, Easter Brunch/Easter Dinner...well those lbs make sense. I'm unsure if I ate something that caused bloating. If not...I have resolved to no gaining 7lbs in a weekend and having to knock it off during the week. I think the fact I went to sleep at one and woke at 5 certainly didn't help as I was catching up the remainder of the weekend. Anyways, a ratio to start with for lean mass building from one of my friends that is a physique pro card holder said P: 40% C: 40% F: 20%. I haven't done the complete math on it, I'll do so this next week when I cook up vegetables, but I'm about P: 50% F: 30% C: 20%.

I've learned I respond better to whole foods over time, which plays into paleo if you want. But how do I flip that and get to whole food carbs at 40% of my intake? I did the macros on a lot of vegetables and god everything at 100g is the same roughly...like 10g of carbs which I find insane.

Last edited:
Weight Watchers update -

Not a great week (burger/fries Wednesday night and too much beer this week) plus I missed three days of cardio.

Still dropped 4 pounds.

That re energizes me !!!

I fought the concept of WW for years because it sounded gay. Fuck that. A couple months into this and it has taught me better portion control, and that if I eat the right stuff...I can eat a lot!

Fruit is free (no points) and a fruit salad that is two or three days old, the juices mixed in, is freeking amazing.

Don't even get me started on how good sliced tomatoes with some salt/pepper on a slice of toasted pita bread is!
For lowering my BP I eat a lot of fruit salads-everyday.I eat a tomato 5 days out of 7 or more. Cant have the table salt which I miss but load on the pepper.Good for you.

OK-So I heard it takes about 2 weeks for your taste buds to adapt to new gross foods. Thought that was mumbo-jumbo. For me-actually true. Now have to get on the brown train-pasta-rice etc.Hate them atm-but taste buds will adapt. Hate rice-but love wild rice.So my point is if you hate a food thats beneficial to your diet-start with small amounts and I bet after 2 wks it may become a staple.Far from a pro on this just sharing my experince.

Can you put Sriracha on your rice?

bearacha_export_1024x1024.png

IF yes, then your taste buds will thank you!!!!

You know Iove my heat-but not that on rice.Sorry-should have specified.Can eat and enjoy rice in paella and my chicken fried rice.Plain rice to me is like eating cottage cheese.No taste.Now have to try to make a paella with brown rice.I will adapt.love your pic lol

I put Sriracha, Soy sauce, peanuts and seaweed on my rice, it tastes epic.
I eat about 8 times a day..this is one of my favorite snacks!
now that i cant do salt-soy sauce is out-have to get tested for a peanut allergy and since seaweed comes from the salt water-maybe not for me..glad you enjoy it and probably very healthy.

Paella is one of my favorite meals....:thumbsup:

I know nothing about dieting but it seems to me that Paella would be a perfect meal.
Rice, vegies, and meat....have yourself a Daiquiri and you just completed the food Pyramid!

:ninja::blkeye:

So for the most part I've stopped yo-yoing when I've gone to my girlfriends with a variety of solid PT plan and a set nutrition plan. Not sure what I did on Friday but I gained three pounds. What I did on Sunday, Easter Brunch/Easter Dinner...well those lbs make sense. I'm unsure if I ate something that caused bloating. If not...I have resolved to no gaining 7lbs in a weekend and having to knock it off during the week. I think the fact I went to sleep at one and woke at 5 certainly didn't help as I was catching up the remainder of the weekend. Anyways, a ratio to start with for lean mass building from one of my friends that is a physique pro card holder said P: 40% C: 40% F: 20%. I haven't done the complete math on it, I'll do so this next week when I cook up vegetables, but I'm about P: 50% F: 30% C: 20%.

I've learned I respond better to whole foods over time, which plays into paleo if you want. But how do I flip that and get to whole food carbs at 40% of my intake? I did the macros on a lot of vegetables and god everything at 100g is the same roughly...like 10g of carbs which I find insane.
Referencing the bold, maybe you should start counting calories. Or, at the very least keep a log of everything that you cram in your cram hole. Eating and thinking you're eating OK/clean is one thing. Monitoring everything you put in your mouth so that you can be accountable to yourself can actually be quite revealing sometimes. Just a thought. YMMV.

Referencing the bold, maybe you should start counting calories. Or, at the very least keep a log of everything that you cram in your cram hole. Eating and thinking you're eating OK/clean is one thing. Monitoring everything you put in your mouth so that you can be accountable to yourself can actually be quite revealing sometimes. Just a thought. YMMV.
I began tracking my intake on Tuesday, purchased two small moleskin notebooks for this. Didn't have a food scale at the time so the only thing I could count macros on reliably was breakfast and my MTS Protein shake. For those of you that track your macros, do you add the cooking fat? Because I have. That brings the fat intake up decently. I've basically been eating meat, vegetables (cauliflower, green beans, broccoli and) and sweet potatoes for the most part, the results show, but it doesn't really jack up the carbs too high. I definitely think I need more carbohydrates as there are some days that I haven't recovered too well. I started my second cycle of my program last week but I just felt crushed and only did Rugby practice as my second workout of the day.

My new food scale was being weird last week, it was way off as far as the grams were for sweet potatoes and green beans but I think we're good. I needed the extra carbs though, still made gains. My girlfriend brown me the Brown Sugar Ale in a growler from Uncle Bears in Awhatukee, solid beer for a Sunday Funday. Also brown me brownies and then I got my Easter gift of a french press, grinder, and coffee beans from Peixoto Coffee in Chandler. Went hiking yesterday up Cristo Rey, and walked to the park and she did some partner assisted pull ups. Going to keep the protein up this week...I bought sweet potatoes again, going to eat them this week, but my Strength coach was like...no mas for the next month. So starting next week, four weeks with only green vegetables. Oi!!!

Green veggies are good but so are orange.How is your fruit intake?Have to watch the sugars-regardless bananas-grapes-kiwis are good.My doc was surprised on how good my cholesterol was.I eat a ton of legumes though. Dont have a weight issue -just no muscle mass.Need a lot of toning.Glad you are invested in your health and making not so easy changes.Keep up the good work.

I just ordered "Enter the Zone". on the recommendation of someone I respect.

Has anyone read it? If so what is your opinion?

I just ordered "Enter the Zone". on the recommendation of someone I respect.

Has anyone read it? If so what is your opinion?

The premise of it is the same as so many others out there: low carb. Atkins, South Beach, Zone, THM, they are all variations on the theme of limiting carbs. So based on that, if you follow it, it should be helpful.

So how do people time their re-feed days? I don't eat a crazy amount of carbs as I try to get all of mine through vegetables. So inherently this keeps your carbs lower, and I'm hangry only on certain days and I haven't been able to anticipate it.

So how do people time their re-feed days? I don't eat a crazy amount of carbs as I try to get all of mine through vegetables. So inherently this keeps your carbs lower, and I'm hangry only on certain days and I haven't been able to anticipate it.

Just a thought, but reading through some of your posts I have to ask if you are over complicating your food plans? Honestly I don't understand much of what you write (re-feed days?). I've tried all the complicated plans...clean...paleo, Atkins, etc. Always had to think about everything I ate and it caused me much angst; especially weighing stuff out.

Doing Weight Watchers online for a few months now. Have dropped nearly 30 pounds, and my energy levels are great. Still lift 3 times per week and cardio 4 to 5 times per week. Get my one evening IPA in (down from two to three 16 oz cans) and the occasional slice of pizza or two. I'm getting close to my goal and quite honestly am going to just keep doing the weight watchers after I do hit it. I find that the healthier I eat, the more food I am able to have throughout the day....if it were not for evening beer (and weekend beer(s), I'd end every day with points to spare...and I do not count my exercise calories burned toward my totals.

Just food for thought...

Hey man if it works for you that's awesome.

My diet is pretty simple overall...I've done the 100% paleo thing, I need to bring some of the baked goods back, I really enjoyed the banana nut bread I had baked and made french toast with.
This week was roughly:

B1: MTS Cookies and Creme Whey P 25g
B2: Scramble
I think I need to bring the Carbs up here. I keep it about P 40-50g
Lunch: Chicken or Elk w/green vegetables (Broccoli, Green Beans, Brussels Sprouts) and sweet potatoes
Snack: MTS No Bake Cookie P25g
Dinner: Chicken or Elk w/green vegetables (Broccoli, Green Beans, Brussels Sprouts) and sweet potatoes

KCals by Day this week:
Mon-1954.5
Tues-1510.6
Wed-1521.1
Thurs-2677 (Yes I counted my servings of peanut brittle)

Trying to keep the protein up, trying to get my carbs up by trial an error. This next week I'm cutting out sweet potatoes, increasing my green vegetable intake and adding a piece of fruit post evening workout. I'll look at adding sweet potato hash browns after the next three weeks of not eating them.

On Tuesday I'm going through Metabolic testing here at Bliss, so I'll have my intake needs calculated down. Right now I have no qualms about enjoying the high kcal stuff on the weekends as long as I put in the work to not have a yo-yo effect. Last weekend I had 2/3 of a growler and brownies that my girlfriend baked. I did eat way too much peanut brittle that one of the guys on staff brought in and set on our microwave today:wall:.

Re-Feed days are used by various types of Athletes, it is talked about in Paleo Diet for Athletes. Body-Builders call them High Carb days...basically at a certain frequency they will increase their carbohydrate intake for one or two days/week by 300%. I've continued to do some type of workout everyday since 1 FEB, whether that's been a Rugby Match, hiking with my girlfriend or a Strength Training session, between 4 and 5 days a week are two a days and it seems I am unable to predict when my fatigue will hit. Took my first APFT since coming back from NTC in January and I'm back in the same shape I was as a PL. I'm mad that I'm not in better "Army Shape" than I was then, but for working even longer hours than I had as primary staff officer, I'm satisfied with the benchmark I set today and it tells me where I'm at. 27lbs down in 11 weeks.

The food scale allows you to have more control over metrics, the more data available the better.

Last edited:
Did the BodPod at the Wellness center this morning. 22.01% that's 7.5% more than what the tape test tells me. And it's pretty obvious that tape is off when I'm seeing no sight of abs right now. But it didn't think it would be that much different. Resting metabolic rate is 1857 KCals, which is what is needed to subsist at my current weight laying down doing zilch. So I can definitely up my daily intake to meet that. Add more broccoli and two pieces of fruit and should be good to go.

Back