Favorite pistol caliber?

If you have a Glock in 40 Smith for about $100 - $130, you can buy a .357 Sig barrel. It is not the cheapest to shoot and more than 40 Smith. It uses the same mags too. I had two glock 40's that I had .357 Sig barrels for.

Rumor has it .357 is not easy to reload. Basically a 40 Smith necked down to a .356

I know there are a lot of 1911 fan boys out there but I was hoping for some objective opinion about what caliber you're most into.

Thoughts?

I like the .45 in a 1911 and carried it as the primary for ccw for years.

Recently made the switch to the XD(M) in 9mm. Two main reasons being; I wanted more capacity and I wanted to shoot more(bunches more). So, the 9 made sense for me.

Chad

Just went to my favorite gun spot and handled the S&W M&P .40 and the Springfield XD. W/o shooting them thought I the ergonomics were there at least.

Then I saw a Kimber Grand Raptor (.45 and fell in love). The only thing that sucked about it was the mag release (which I could get fixed).

Of course it also costs as much as both of the pistols above put together.

Talk about feeling conflicted. lol

Rick, did you put a mitt on the XDm .40? It's even sweeter!!!
Can't go wrong with any of the above though!!!

No, not really. Just the grip is a little more "ergonomic", with a smaller CZ-type of top dimension to it/agressive pattern.
And I believe the round count is a couple better. And the match barrel that you mentioned. Slightly longer sight radius.
Can't go wrong with any you mentioned!

The CZ I have is in .40 S&W and I'm pretty partial to the holes it leaves. In the past I've had a Glock 17 and Sig 226 in 9mm too.

The CZ is a nice piece...actually it's a great piece, but it's definitely laid out for a rightly. I'm thinking about getting a new pistol and have been thinking of going either 10mm or .45.

I know there are a lot of 1911 fan boys out there but I was hoping for some objective opinion about what caliber you're most into.

Thoughts?

45 ACP, is generally my first choice due to terminal ballistics vs. recoil and size of gun. All those things must be balanced out or we would all carry 44mag and 454, etc. 10mm for me, tends to go outside those considerations as the recoil (unless the gun is big and heavy thus making ccw difficult) is high, so 10mm has not been a consideration for me personally. It's actually a good hunting rnd for medium sized game and I know people who hunt black bear, deer, and others with it.

I also don't choose caliber before gun and requirements: requirements (for me) will dictate caliber and gun. If my requirement for example was a sub compact gun needed for deep concealment and light weight, I may not choose a 45ACP due to the recoil, rnd count, etc of small polymer guns that fire 45ACP and so on.

If I have the choice, then it's 45 ACP using any of the brands that have tested well in terminal ballistics: Spear Gold Dot, Ranger SXT, etc.

Just my :2c: People with "been there done that" experience will give you advice.

.45 ACP for PD/CQ (of course)
.223/.308 for UA/CQB rifle
. 300 win mag for LR
50 BMG for FLR

I went with the Kimber. Having a mild heart attack now.

I'll post pics once I have it tricked...further.

Sweet looking piece Rick!

Attachments

• fullscreen_grand_raptor2-45.jpg
    fullscreen_grand_raptor2-45.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 58
The chamber pressure is higher when comparing the 10mm to the .45 because you have (roughly) the same grains in a smaller chamber- hence smaller surface area.

A very hot load on a .45 round with 200+gr can exceed 41,000 psi.

.45 ammo is way more prevalent and cheaper than 10mm ammo. But the 10 mm is superior in every way to the .45. Yes I know some people will argue this! But scientifically it is superior! Don't get me wrong the .45 is a very close second to the 10mm in my opinion. I love the .45 a lot! I just like the 10mm more! But again, this is my subjective opinion.

The 10mm is closer to the ballistics of the 357 Mag. But 10mm ammo is more expensive and I have a hard time finding it form time to time.

The Maximum Average Pressure for the 10mm Auto is 37,500 P.S.I.
The Maximum Average Pressure for the .40 S&W is 35,000 P.S.I.
The Maximum Average Pressure for the .45 ACP +P is 23,000 P.S.I.
The Maximum Average Pressure for the .45 ACP is 21,000 P.S.I.

The 10mm Auto provides a hand gunner with the power of a .357 Magnum revolver with the increased magazine capacity and rapid reload capability of an automatic pistol.
10mm AUTO.

Go fill 2 1 gallon jugs with water! Shoot one with the .45! Pretty cool explosion, right!

Now do it with a 10mm! Night and day difference. That is what I have done to show the difference. Very unscientific but very dramatic difference.

Is that a Matt Davis / Rich Heinie piece out of Illinois?

I know Matt Davis' father-in-law, and it looks like one of his masterpieces.

Kimber Master Raptor II. I'll have to look those guys up though as it's definitely turned me on to 1911's. Hands down the tightest gun I've ever handled.

Rick,

Where did you pick it up?? Tn Gun Country? If so Dave, he's good people.

I have to give you one suggestion with your Kimber.

I have the Pro Raptor II and I had only one problem with her. I adjusted the trigger pull down some one day, while dry firing, to where it felt just perfect. I had shot it the day before and it shot great... then I adjusted it.. then went out the next weekend to shoot it again. It went like this.

Trigger pull... BANG
Trigger pull... BANG
Trigger pull... BANG BANG

WTF...

reload...

Trigger pull... BANG
Trigger pull... BANG
Trigger pull... BANG BANG

I had adjusted the trigger down too much. I read some online and found similar situations/solutions and tightened the trigger up a little and no probs.

Also do not shoot JHPs that have a big mouth.. (you know what I mean? Large diameter hollow point part) They do not feed very reliably. I bought some (cannot remember brand) got them home. Tried to feed them, and had about 5 failure to feeds. This is where Dave took great care of me. Not other gun shop I have ever been to allow anyone to return ammo. I told dave the SITREP and he swapped them out with no problem.

Good luck, and good shooting

I actually picked it up at GrandPa's.

If you have a go-to guy around here though hook me up.

I was tight with the guys at Lightfighter back in the day (I worked there for a bit), but that place has TOTALLY changed since it became ATS.

I actually picked it up at GrandPa's.

If you have a go-to guy around here though hook me up.

I was tight with the guys at Lightfighter back in the day (I worked there for a bit), but that place has TOTALLY changed since it became ATS.

Jimmy at ATS is Good to Go. I don't get guns there since they are across state lines, but Dave at TN Gun Country is an EXCELLENT guy to deal with.

I got a referral for smithing that I put up on your "I'm pissed" thread. Haven't had him do any work for me but the two guys that recommend him are good enough for me.

We need to go out and do some shooting.... with that scratched up piece of shit you just bought :D }:-) :doh: :cool:

Jimmy at ATS is Good to Go. I don't get guns there since they are across state lines, but Dave at TN Gun Country is an EXCELLENT guy to deal with.

I got a referral for smithing that I put up on your "I'm pissed" thread. Haven't had him do any work for me but the two guys that recommend him are good enough for me.

We need to go out and do some shooting.... with that scratched up piece of shit you just bought :D }:-) :doh: :cool:

lol. Thanks fucker. Definitely. PM inbound.

I needed an excuse to buy more mags anyway. ;)

Back