Post up Your pet pics, not Youtube

Long day of football for the pup...

... Flat-Coated Retriever...

Having been a part of a family with Flat Coat's, I can tell you that they aren't that common, and there are lots of cross breeds who look similar but lack the distinct coat, posture and gait. There are lots of Lab crosses with long hair dogs that people assume are Flat Coat's.

Based on your pics of Penny I'd say she's more likely a cross with Newly roots rather than a Flat Coat.

LL

Well, just got a phone call I did not want to get. Dropped off our grey for some dental work and the vet said his kidneys are in very bad shape. They recommended we take him down to Purdue because they have a 24 hour vet hospital where he could be given a liquid therapy, but he's been pissing away protein, so by giving him all these fluids it will flush away more. That option is also out financially, which really sucks to say since he's a part off our family. When we took him in after his seizure, they didn't find anything out of the norm but they did see a lower level oif protein then. Because he ate and drank fine (his kidney valves were also okay) they ruled out kidney disease. In hindsight it appears now that it was a direct correlation between the two. I want the best comfort of life for Jake, but at the same time...

I just don't know what to do beteeen what's best for him and sadly what I can afford.

Well, just got a phone call I did not want to get. Dropped off our grey for some dental work and the vet said his kidneys are in very bad shape. They recommended we take him down to Purdue because they have a 24 hour vet hospital where he could be given a liquid therapy, but he's been pissing away protein, so by giving him all these fluids it will flush away more. That option is also out financially, which really sucks to say since he's a part off our family. When we took him in after his seizure, they didn't find anything out of the norm but they did see a lower level oif protein then. Because he ate and drank fine (his kidney valves were also okay) they ruled out kidney disease. In hindsight it appears now that it was a direct correlation between the two. I want the best comfort of life for Jake, but at the same time...

I just don't know what to do beteeen what's best for him and sadly what I can afford.

Kidneys can loose up t0 75% of their function before it shows on blood work IIRC.
Ask your vet if they can give him IV fluids in his hospital. Understanding that there is no one there at night and the inherent risks involved with that.
We used to do that all the time and never had a serious problem develop as a result. The cost should be significantly less.

Failing that, you could take the cheap and nasty route and keeps your fingers crossed. Get your vet to give him a bolus of fluids subcutaneously (under the skin). I've seen it work though it's certainly not the ideal treatment.

If nothing is done when he needs it, the kidneys could shut down very quickly and there is nothing anyone can do. If fluids are given at the appropriate time the immediate threat can be averted. Sadly it won't fix the problem just by him more time, that time could be counted in years though.

Is he sowing any symptoms at all? How is his eating? Energy level? Does he seem normal to you? How do they know his kidneys are in bad shape, were the kidney values on the bloodwork off?

I hope they didn't go ahead and clean his teeth.

Yes, we took him in last night for blood work before they gave him anaesthesia to pull a tooth for today's surgery. They have not proceeded with the dental work. One option is for them to do the IV work there, but there is that risk with it being the weekend that it maybe up to 12 hours of no one being there, hence they recommended we drive the couple of hours to Purdue.

He's as hungry as he's always been. His energy is down some, but he's not lethargic. His kidneys are operating at about 15%, which is dangerously low. The vet does not even know how he can walk, let alone still go out for a jog in the evenings (we just go around the block).

Yes, we took him in last night for blood work before they gave him anaesthesia to pull a tooth for today's surgery. They have not proceeded with the dental work. One option is for them to do the IV work there, but there is that risk with it being the weekend that it maybe up to 12 hours of no one being there, hence they recommended we drive the couple of hours to Purdue.

He's as hungry as he's always been. His energy is down some, but he's not lethargic. His kidneys are operating at about 15%, which is dangerously low. The vet does not even know how he can walk, let alone still go out for a jog in the evenings (we just go around the block).

Eating is a very good sign.
If it was my pet and I couldn't afford the 24hr hospital (Which I can't, I know they charge an arm and a leg) I would have no hesitation in admitting him into your local vet, the sooner the better. If the line tangles up and the fluids stop, the staff in the morning will fix that, so he is at least getting fluids during work hours, it's better than nothing.

Oh, well, oops. I made that post before the coffee had kicked in. I'm functionally retarded up to that point. I genuinely thought he was being put down, kinda like I need to be at that time of morning.

No worries. We spoke with the greyhound rescue group we adopted him from and they are thinking that we will be having to make that decision in the coming weeks. Not looking forward to that.

150243_1609226724439_1649344639_1447119_6133152_n-1-jpg.6065

After Technical School I went home and saw this guy for the last time, during my first year in Japan he passed away when his heart gave out during a seizure. He was a good pup and I miss him, but my family is never without a furry companion.
10285578_10203292946158300_6036137739211958533_o.jpg

Meet Bix, I finally got to meet him myself on leave a little while back. We think something bad must have happened to him with his previous owners, this is because when most people get too close (to his face usually) he will yelp loudly and jolt back quickly. Most of his teeth were removed because they were so badly damaged, we were told it was most likely that he chewed into some wire while he was out on the streets. He was supposed to be my mothers loyal companion after losing Sulley but he has seemed to lend his extreme loyalty to only my father, and when I came home, to me.

He's at the Vets office getting an IV treatment. He should be home Monday.

It will be a long weekend for the both of you, BTDT. I had one of my girls in with some obstructive bowel problems. It took a few days to sort out, and every chance I got, I stopped in to visit. She would just light up when I came in to see her, like Christmas morning for both of us, every single time. The bonds we make with our canine friends are as strong anything I have ever felt. I hope for the best for you and your fuzzy friend.

Wife brought him home last night. He's got end stage kidney failure unfortunately. So now it's on to monitoring his quality of life. For now he's eating and drinking fine, including keeping down his food. We have to remember to not be selfish though, which seems way easier said than done.

Wife brought him home last night. He's got end stage kidney failure unfortunately. So now it's on to monitoring his quality of life. For now he's eating and drinking fine, including keeping down his food. We have to remember to not be selfish though, which seems way easier said than done.

I'm sorry to hear the prognosis, but glad he is home and doing OK for the moment. Did they give you and IV bag, line and needles to do sub Q fluids at home?
I'm heartened to see you write the bolded parts. People seem to forget that this isn't about you now, this is about him, your feelings are inconsequential to his suffering.
I was rarely sad at euthanizing an animal as it was to relieve the animal's suffering. I used to get upset and angry when owners said to me
"We can't end his suffering because we aren't ready to face it yet."

Remember, you know Jake better than anyone, you will know when his quality of life falls below the line. Some of the most obvious signs are eating and acting normal for him. Listen to him and you will know when it is time.

I'm sorry to hear the prognosis, but glad he is home and doing OK for the moment. Did they give you and IV bag, line and needles to do sub Q fluids at home?
I'm heartened to see you write the bolded parts. People seem to forget that this isn't about you now, this is about him, your feelings are inconsequential to his suffering.
I was rarely sad at euthanizing an animal as it was to relieve the animal's suffering. I used to get upset and angry when owners said to me
"We can't end his suffering because we aren't ready to face it yet."

Remember, you know Jake better than anyone, you will know when his quality of life falls below the line. Some of the most obvious signs are eating and acting normal for him. Listen to him and you will know when it is time.

^^^^^^^ Golden words!
Must be some dust in the air around here:(...... I am sad to hear that it is at end stage, for Jake. While it is hard to know just what is the right thing to do; know this. You've done the right things all along, and you will continue to do that. Jake wants to be with you, that is his most happy time, and there you two are. As the failure progresses, Jake's sensorium will become more and more clouded, but you will be there; that will make it all so much easier for Jake. Your voice, your touch, and your nearness has always been the most gratifying thing for Jake, and you will be doing that. I know how you feel, because I have been there. Take comfort in knowing, that Jake's life with you has all he has ever wanted, and there you are. Take care you two, thoughts and prayers are on the way.

Back