Post up Your pet pics, not Youtube

Beautiful Newfis. One of my favorite breeds.
Thank you. They are a great breed.
I had two others, Luca & Camilla that were litter mates. When Luca passed away I said I would never get dogs again. The loss was too much and I still had to deal with losing Camilla. So I called me breeder to tell her that Luca had died at almost 12 years old. She asked me if was wanting another. I told her no, I didn't want to go through this again. She said she had a litter due in a few months and that the sire was Maverick who was the father of Luca and Camilla. So Bishop (the black Newf) is half brother to Luca & Camilla. So I went from not wanting anymore to we are getting a third next year.

The joy my dogs bring far out weighs the pain of losing them.

Last edited:
Something that I have found useful in keeping tarter on our dogs teeth, are pig ears. One pig ear every couple of days has kept tarter buildup in check. Their yearly Vet visits have always been tarter free. It also helps with mouth oder as well, they have zero halitosis.

Funny you should mention that, J. We've just started bringing home the pig's ears. I also get smoked beef ribs when I go to the feed store, TR and Benny go crazy for them.

Something that I have found useful in keeping tarter on our dogs teeth, are pig ears. One pig ear every couple of days has kept tarter buildup in check. Their yearly Vet visits have always been tarter free. It also helps with mouth oder as well, they have zero halitosis.

I have used raw frozen marrow bones with big chunks of muscle and tendon still attached. They chew for hours and teeth stay clean and no bad breath. All my Newfoundlands have chewed in them and never had any mouth issues. Raw turkey necks are good as well on occasion. The raw poultry bones do not splinter and are perfectly safe.

Introduce raw treats in moderation so you do end up with a dog with the squirts.

Edit:
Whole Dog Journal
Great resource.

I have used raw frozen marrow bones with big chunks of muscle and tendon still attached. They chew for hours and teeth stay clean and no bad breath. All my Newfoundlands have chewed in them and never had any mouth issues. Raw turkey necks are good as well on occasion. The raw poultry bones do not splinter and are perfectly safe.

Introduce raw treats in moderation so you do end up with a dog with the squirts.

Edit:
Whole Dog Journal
Great resource.

Last edited:
I get them cut down to a size that they cannot swallow which makes it easier to get to the marrow. I also try to get the part that is closer to the knee joint, at least it looks closer to the knee. Its a bit softer than the femur and porous. I'll post a picture of it.

The Whole Dog Journal is a fantastic resource. I found the holistic approach to raising my dogs has benefited them greatly. My Newfies Luca and Camilla lived to 11.5 and 12 years old and they had very few health issues. Big dogs usually don't last that long and I attribute that to how the were fed and loved. It's not the cheapest rout but to me its worth the money.

Back