Post up Your pet pics, not Youtube

What over the counter medicine has anyone given their dog for allergies?

Our vet suggested half a Claritin for a dog of 80 lbs... she did say that it cold cause drowsiness in canines, and not to use it before the dog was a full year old. this ends up being somewhere in the neighborhood of .12-.2 mg/kg bodyweight, start at .1 mg/kg body weight and titrate up until you have the best balance between activity and symptomatic relief. dog's weight (80 lb is 80/2.2 = 36.4 kg or 3.64 mg Claritin for the dog. Claritin comes in 5 and 10mg tabs, so 1/3 to 1/2 of a 10mg tab or 1/2 to 2/3 of a 5mg tab and you should be fine. Use the same formula for Zyrtec. Unless ther is nausea involved, do not use Benadryl on dogs, it acts as a true sedative and antiemetic, just like in people.

Hope this helps.

ETA, answered this before reading the other replies.

Our vet suggested half a Claritin for a dog of 80 lbs... she did say that it cold cause drowsiness in canines, and not to use it before the dog was a full year old. this ends up being somewhere in the neighborhood of .12-.2 mg/kg bodyweight, start at .1 mg/kg body weight and titrate up until you have the best balance between activity and symptomatic relief. dog's weight (80 lb is 80/2.2 = 36.4 kg or 3.64 mg Claritin for the dog. Claritin comes in 5 and 10mg tabs, so 1/3 to 1/2 of a 10mg tab or 1/2 to 2/3 of a 5mg tab and you should be fine. Use the same formula for Zyrtec. Unless ther is nausea involved, do not use Benadryl on dogs, it acts as a true sedative and antiemetic, just like in people.

Hope this helps.

ETA, answered this before reading the other replies.

Hard disagree on the Benadryl. If you want to stop active problems Claritin will not work as well. Benadryl actively works throughout the whole body, while Claritin or its "non drowsy" partners only works peripherally.

Good news for Rocky, he doesn't have allergies.

Bad news for my boy, he's got happy tail syndrome. The walls of my house look like a murder scene so we took him in. Treatment is an ointment to help heal the wound and wrap his tail with neoprene tubing for a while to help it heal. Poor guy. He is a tail wagger and it's pretty powerful. So powerful that when we took him for boarding (for the first time) last weekend to go watch the Antares rocket launch, that he most likely banged it repeatability against the side of the kennel. We also have the cone of shame on tonight as we don't have any tubing in the house.

Here is my little princess, Phoebe. I'll post my other little turd on here tomorrow. Both are rescues; we aren't quite sure what her mix is, but she has a fairly pronounced ridge and looks very similar to a Phu Quoc. Pretty crazy, considering we rescued her in Wichita Falls, Texas.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 11
Wat over the counter mess can be administered to a canine? Dosages? I already do low dose Bayer for pain issues. Never did the Claritin or Benadryl. Makes sense

1mg per pound as far as Benadryl goes. Half or less (1/4) per pound for Pepcid. Neosporin is Neosporin.

Good news for Rocky, he doesn't have allergies.

Bad news for my boy, he's got happy tail syndrome. The walls of my house look like a murder scene so we took him in. Treatment is an ointment to help heal the wound and wrap his tail with neoprene tubing for a while to help it heal. Poor guy. He is a tail wagger and it's pretty powerful. So powerful that when we took him for boarding (for the first time) last weekend to go watch the Antares rocket launch, that he most likely banged it repeatability against the side of the kennel. We also have the cone of shame on tonight as we don't have any tubing in the house.

Good news. We had similar problems with a previous dog and it was caused by separation anxiety. He would start by chewing on his tail and then it would never heal right due to his extreme tail wagging. Do you use a crate at home while you're away?

Good news. We had similar problems with a previous dog and it was caused by separation anxiety. He would start by chewing on his tail and then it would never heal right due to his extreme tail wagging. Do you use a crate at home while you're away?

He's usually allowed free roam of the house. The vet gave us some ideas to kind of make a cotton ball on his tail to help pad it when he hits it on things, like a wall, to help the healing process. Hopefully in 3 to 4 days he'll be healed.

We just got our dog back from the kennel after having been there for nearly a week while we were all out of town. My wife generally calls the vet to check on him while we are gone. This time, they advised that he had rubbed the skin off of his nose and we had remembered that he had done that same thing the last time he boarded there. They surmised that it was do to separation anxiety since that's the only time he has done anything like that for the 12 years we have had him.

It's amazing what they go through when their worlds are changed - even if only for a short while.

Back