Post up Your pet pics, not Youtube

A few months ago, I had only just arrived at work when a grey kitten, maybe 4mo old at the most, chose my car to hide under. One of the customers asked why my kitten was crying, to which I replied that my youngest feline is five years old and should be at the house. So I went out to check. The poor baby was starving and thirsty; he was most likely abandoned in the parking lot, as he'd been seen there a couple of days. My roomie offered to bring him home for me. And that's how I wound up with Pookie.

IMG_9142.JPG IMG_9148.JPG IMG_9489.JPG

A few months ago, I had only just arrived at work when a grey kitten, maybe 4mo old at the most, chose my car to hide under. One of the customers asked why my kitten was crying, to which I replied that my youngest feline is five years old and should be at the house. So I went out to check. The poor baby was starving and thirsty; he was most likely abandoned in the parking lot, as he'd been seen there a couple of days. My roomie offered to bring him home for me. And that's how I wound up with Pookie.

View attachment 17279 View attachment 17280 View attachment 17281

Love the hash marks on Pookie. :thumbsup:

I found the dog's owner this morning. What made the difference was having called all the shelters and the ASPCA yesterday to see if she had been reported missing. About an hour ago, one of the shelters called that the owner had called them. I delivered the old gal back home just a little while ago. The dog is 17 years old, and the owner has been crying for a few days. I wish I could have taken a pic of the reunion, but the owner declined. I'm just glad she got back home.

Good job, J. You get a big check mark in the good column on Santa's list. You made a dog and his owner very very happy. :thumbsup:

Damn Damn Damn.

Havoc did not pass the "kids" test. He came right up to me and Jen, tale a wagging and sniffing away. The two 13 years olds were next...nope. He did a 180 and went to a corner of the room - we tried for an hour, but the pup wanted little to do with them. He warmed up some towards the end, but was still skittish - I had to decline.

That's too much dog to factor in an 'oops'. Not going to chance it. That's what can happen when you go with a rescue dog, there is sometimes an unknown history that you have to factor it. Our first rescued Shepherd had some bad experiences before we got her....pissed everywhere when she got scared - we worked with her and she had nearly 12 great years, but was not good with strangers. Made it really hard to get folks to watch her when we were out, or even bring her anywhere. Not doing that again, especially with kids in the house.

There are more German Shepherds out there, and this guy will find a home, but I had to trust my gut, and not trust him. That's one of the reasons we are considering going with a respected breeder and getting a pup - we can control all of the variables in it's environment.

Damn it.

That's too bad, Brother. Havoc hopefully will find a home with a nice childless couple.

GOOD. So she wasn't abandoned. My human like went up a little. It will fall back down soon enough.

GSDs are a handful. Have had 3. Each one different. Koa is my least aggressive. Just hates cats, rats and squirrels that tease him from the wires. He loves all dogs and people. He is always working and does have defensive boundaries. They are very intelligent. Maybe consider getting the pup and have a professional re train him. Best companion ever.

- UPDATE -

I'm so FREEKING happy I cannot stand it. Rescue lady called back about Havoc (from page 39 in this thread). Said she'd never seen him react that way to anyone before and asked us to come back and give another try. Went on to say that there was a couple with kids who had been there the day prior and she had to ask to leave (kids were obnoxious fucks). Against my better judgement we went back to see him again. Totally different dog....loved us, we loved him. Need to do some paperwork and since I am traveling next week I will get him a week from Monday....

This will be our 3rd rescue, and 2nd Shepherd. Any and all tips on raising/training/etc an 18 month GSD are more that welcome. Our other was a female with bad hips, who didn't like to be socialized ( she was abused before we got her) so this pup will be a different experience for us.

Happy Day!

upload_2016-11-25_22-42-49.png

- UPDATE -

I'm so FREEKING happy I cannot stand it. Rescue lady called back about Havoc (from page 39 in this thread). Said she'd never seen him react that way to anyone before and asked us to come back and give another try. Went on to say that there was a couple with kids who had been there the day prior and she had to ask to leave (kids were obnoxious fucks). Against my better judgement we went back to see him again. Totally different dog....loved us, we loved him. Need to do some paperwork and since I am traveling next week I will get him a week from Monday....

This will be our 3rd rescue, and 2nd Shepherd. Any and all tips on raising/training/etc an 18 month GSD are more that welcome. Our other was a female with bad hips, who didn't like to be socialized ( she was abused before we got her) so this pup will be a different experience for us.

Happy Day!

View attachment 17326

Awesome news. Lucky pup!

- UPDATE -

Happy Day!

View attachment 17326

Last edited:
Deramaxx has been the most effective in reducing the pain, and she walks almost with not limp. It is expensive @ $106.00 for 30 day supply.

Amazing to me that the price has not changed. That's what we paid some years ago for the first Shep. (Tera)

@Red Flag 1 I hate to think what would have happened to that poor dog if you hadn't taken her in.

@Ooh-Rah congrats on how things worked out with Havoc, he's a beautiful dog!

As a dog owner/lover, thanks to the both of you for making a major difference to the lives of those two dogs.

So begins the best days of your lives. I feed mine only Blue Buffalo Wilderness. GSDs are sensitive to grains. Digging and other destructive activities are replaced with ball play and exercise. I get mine to work first(perimeter, search) before play. Shoot tennis balls with a hockey stick. Give him old rugby balls to attack. I guess he thinks they are a cat. Good luck keeping him off the furniture. Mine also sleeps on top of my legs in bed. This breed teaches people about loyalty. Good on ya mate!

Damnit.

Guys and ladies, we tried. We really did, but Havoc just refused to bond with the boys. With them being just 13, we're not ready to have a dog who refuses to embrace everyone in the family - we gave him back to the rescue on Friday, the good news is the man (single adult) who was 2nd in line was really really happy. He picked up Havoc today -

We all want a GSD in the family again, and I've begun looking at quality breeders in MN, but holy shit, looking at minimum of $2k- to $3k for anything of quality with hip guarantee, and about a $500 nonrefundable deposit just to have the opportunity to meet the pups.

A friend of mine breeds GSD's (solid lineage but no decades of paperwork to go with his dogs) mama had pups a few weeks ago and is looking to let them go around mid February. He is part of a GSD rescue so I want to give him first chance, but as we think about what will be (hopefully) a 10-13 year commitment, there are certain deal-breakers we are going to have.
- History of mom and dad in regards to hips
- Looking for a 'puppy' so that we can begin the initial bonding period and imprinting at the earliest possible age. (to include socializing with people and dogs as often as possible)
- While I want a male, Jen wants a female and I am willing to concede that one. Between me, the boys, and our male Cocker, she deserves to have at least one more girl in the house
- Most of the pups my buddy had with this batch are black (mom is 65 pounds and all black) and only one is the more traditional Black and Tan. Not a deal breaker, but we both want the black/tan color.

Any experienced GSD owner's with advice/thoughts/etc ... please fire away. One of these little guys could be part of the new new mix.

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 9.38.01 PM.png

Back