Ukraine - Russia Conflict

A "trove" of Russian intel? Most likely garbage tactical info that was probably obsolete the moment it was...

<reads article>

SBU says amongst the boxes of abandoned documents is detailed information on agents who collaborated with Russia during Kherson’s occupation, including handwritten notes detailing “obligations” to provide confidential information to FSB.

:-o Oh damn. I stand corrected.

Then again, if I were the Russians, I'd plant all kinds of bullshit in my files. Shit like senior members of Z's cabinet are in my pocket. Or how we found the Americans' COVID-19 production labs. Or how Hunter Biden killed Jeffrey Epstein. Or something. 8-)

Last edited:
" has been killed in his office with 5 bullets to the chest. He was heavily involved in Putin's mobilization efforts. Russia propaganda reports it was suicide"

Sounds like a old mafia hit, "...he fell on a knife, six times..."

Of course....I worked a suicide in a CHU in Iraq where the guy used his SAW, lots of rounds....so, anything is possible.

Not really sure what to do with this info but it's kind of interesting:

Also, we've had frequent mention of the Soviet KIA numbers here and how mind-boggling they are but the latest estimate I saw was ~100,000 KIA. It's only been 9 months. I continue to find it fascinating for a conflict like this one. Sadly, only 3,000 are reportedly Wagner. Nonetheless, seems the old lady handing the Soviet soldier sunflower seeds was spot on.

Putting some additional, more personal context around those numbers, in the 20 years of OIF, OEF, and related operations, the US lost ~7,000+; not just KIA, but all deaths combined. With that, I'm guessing most, if not all, of us knew or had some personal connection to at least a couple of those losses. Just think about what that would look like if the number were 14x higher...and in less than a year. That's the scale and it's incredible.

It's probably getting much easier to find one of those mail-order Russian brides.

Last edited:
This feels right, but I have not fact-checked it yet.

View attachment 40944
My concern with the spending in Ukraine is accountability of it. I understand the need to help them, but we can’t be an open checkbook to them. We were spending $300m a day in Afghanistan (crazy), and at the current spend rate, we are close to that in Ukraine. We simply can’t afford another Afghan war…

Not really sure what to do with this info but it's kind of interesting:

Also, we've had frequent mention of the Soviet KIA numbers here and how mind-boggling they are but the latest estimate I saw was ~100,000 KIA. It's only been 9 months. I continue to find it fascinating for a conflict like this one. Sadly, only 3,000 are reportedly Wagner. Nonetheless, seems the old lady handing the Soviet soldier sunflower seeds was spot on.

Putting some additional, more personal context around those numbers, in the 20 years of OIF, OEF, and related operations, the US lost ~7,000+; not just KIA, but all deaths combined. With that, I'm guessing most, if not all, of us knew or had some personal connection to at least a couple of those losses. Just think about what that would look like if the number were 14x higher...and in less than a year. That's the scale and it's incredible.

It's probably getting much easier to find one of those mail-order Russian brides.
100k in less than a year? That’s insane and I have to wonder how much has Ukraine lost. has to be as much or more right?

How much training does it take to learn GTF down? Russia must be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

It doesn't take much training, but it does take some to get that reaction into muscle memory.

I remember doing checkpoint security on deployment one night and we started taking "sniper fire" (some local taking potshots at the berm).
I remember one female soldier attempting to walk out into the road to "check what the sound was", because she didn't know what incoming rounds sounded like.

I can't see how Afghanistan compares to the war in Ukraine.

Afghanistan was a low-mid level conflict. Ukraine is mid-high level

Strategic weapons (aka nukes) are the only thing missing from the war in Ukraine. Imagine tank v tank battles in Afghanistan, or if the Taliban had cruise missiles and reapers.

Back