Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Shit just got real….

BREAKING: McDonald's is temporarily closing all of its 850 restaurants in Russia in response to the country's invasion of Ukraine.
Wow. That strikes me as pretty significant "putting your money where your mouth is." McDonald's is going to continue to pay its employees, but they're not going to make any money as a corporation there for the foreseeable future. McDonald's temporarily closes 850 restaurants in Russia, nearly 2 weeks after Putin's forces invaded Ukraine

I don't think she's wrong in this regard. Those weapons, especially MANPADS, don't just disappear after the conflict stops. My understanding was that they require maintenance and that they go bad over time, but if Germany can keep those crappy SA7s (or whatever) from the freakin' COLD WAR going...

Edited to add this link, and to specify they were Strelas.

Last edited:
This is a great deal for the Poles. They offload their aging fleet of MiG-29s and get what... new made-in-the-USA tech? Win-win.

Last edited:

Yeah, her timing is definitely off.

There’s nothing earth-shattering about the zillions of military weapons and hardware from any conflict within the past 50 years still floating around and abundant in international arms markets.

It’s too fucking late, lady…you’re bitching about a grain of sand being added to the beach.

I'm good with that if he told our oil companies that it was open season, but he isn't. He's still for destroying our internal energy sector while courting Venezuela and Iran to get their oil. Which is freaking wild.
@ThunderHorse its a choice between an oil ban or inflation & both pose a dilemma. Rising energy costs can make consumer prices higher thus inflation increases. Venezuelan oil may assist as a replacement & it looks like a necessity to lower prices trumps any other reason. The amount of oil imported from Russia to the US is not a great deal though, about 8-9%.

I'm sure this was as well thought out as the withdrawal from Afghanistan. Which is to say, it wasn't planned or thought out well at all.

Besides, good ol' Jen Psaki tells us we're still receiving all the oil Keystone would've provided, it's just coming in through different methods. 🙄

But it plays right into the Administration’s push for electric vehicles. The gas prices (and hence the price of everything else) started to go up when Biden came into office and nixed the pipeline and suspended drilling permits…but now he can blame Russia.

@ThunderHorse its a choice between an oil ban or inflation & both pose a dilemma. Rising energy costs can make consumer prices higher thus inflation increases. Venezuelan oil may assist as a replacement & it looks like a necessity to lower prices trumps any other reason. The amount of oil imported from Russia to the US is not a great deal though, about 8-9%.
Yes but the faster response here is to tell US Oil Companies to get guys back on rigs and go.

Absolutely. But Biden and the democrats would have to be under intense pressure to reverse his agenda.
Yep...those that have become "institutions" due to their longevity there would have to be severely threatened by the actual loss of their positions before that would happen. The "people" would have to actually get off their butts and actively get them voted out, but - that relies on the same crumbs that keep them there so my hopes are dimming quickly....

Yes but the faster response here is to tell US Oil Companies to get guys back on rigs and go.

I am an know nothing in the oil and gas field. But looking at the data, it seems like 2020, and 2021 were the highest yield years ever in US production. So who are they putting back on rigs that were off them, while we are at basically our highest production ever?

There isn’t data here on 2022 yet.

U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Recession is on the way. Not 'just' higher POL and consumer prices, but less purchasing power per dollar. We're screwed. We might avoid it, but I don't know that we will.

Why do the planes need to go to the US at all? Send them straight to the Ukraine and then we backfill Poland with F-16’s or the new F-15’s.
Yeah, that's really weird.

I wonder if Poland is doing that out of an abundance of caution, "Whoa Russia, we gave those planes to the US, if they then gave them to Ukraine, that's not something you can get mad at *us* about!"

It's amazing how much this is shaping up like WWII: a dictator grabbing land, Europe and the US cheering from the sidelines but not doing much on the ground, and now "lend-lease."

I wonder what the Pearl Harbor moment is going to be, this time around.

Why do the planes need to go to the US at all? Send them straight to the Ukraine and then we backfill Poland with F-16’s or the new F-15’s.
They'd be going to Ramstein, no idea why either. Just park them on some strip adjacent the border and let them fly off at night. Why this is so hard I don't know, but this is the same competence err lack of competence that led to our trash Afghan final withdrawal.

Back