Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Here's the Twitter thread as a Substance article.

That speech is interesting because of some of the philosophical criticisms of the "west" that Putin is throwing in there.

Things like Western Neo-colonialism and our tendency to destabilize governments we don't agree with (hi South America circa 1950s-1980s) are valid criticisms that most Russian citizens are probably familiar with.

Add a dash of the worst bits of our history to really emphasize how "bad" we are (genocide, slave trade, WW2 carpet bombing) and he gets to wrap up the crazier propaganda elements of his speech in a decent veneer of legitimacy.

I wonder if this will rile up more nationalists to go fight, or if it's too late for him to win the population over.

In a strange move, Russia has withdrawn troops from their recently annexed lands.

I’d say check the winds to see potential fallout course, and if it’s blowing west, maybe raise an eyebrow…

Edit to remove “all troops” and change it to just “troops”. Also to add link.

Russia Says Forces Withdrawn From Eastern Ukraine's Lyman
Happened at Izyum too. UkA is pretty good at isolating key towns and GLOCs which forces full withdrawal. But it helps that it's yours and not theirs I'm sure.

In a strange move, Russia has withdrawn troops from their recently annexed lands.
I’d say check the winds to see potential fallout course, and if it’s blowing west, maybe raise an eyebrow…
@JedisonsDad The bastard pulled a Napoleon-in-Egypt. Turn utter defeat into "victory" by just saying "we win."

@JedisonsDad The bastard pulled a Napoleon-in-Egypt. Turn utter defeat into "victory" by just saying "we win."
Honestly I thought he was going to do this months ago after the Kyiv offensive failed. At the time, it seemed like the best way to salvage the campaign and save face was to say, “Actually we just wanted to annex Donetsk the entire time, which we did, so….we win!” I’m really surprised it took Putin this long to settle on this COA.

What remains to be seen is if Ukrainian forces continue to press their advantage into these “annexed” territories and risk a strategic strike, or if they consolidate their gains and use this pause to rest and refit.

So we announced another aid package of 1.1B. Not that I have issue with this. I do have issue with us not delivering the previous 3 or so in full before announcing the last two we've announced. Also, enjoy the excess HMMWVs that we've been trying to get rid of. :rolleyes:. Everything else in the aid package it probably very useful though!

Afghan vets watching the Ukrainians using their aid packages..

cover4.jpg

9 years of my life...

Back