US Army SOF Photos

es6kbl.jpg

What kind of NVG mount is that?

3rd Group has gone from predominately French speakers, to Arabic, Pashto, Dari, and Farsi. Calling us out for having to use a Terp in Kyrgyzstan is a bit much.

SBG sends.

Not calling anyone out (we're DTA'd with you guys too and we only have two RU speakers) but rather voicing frustration with the entire idea of language proficency taking a back seat: 35 series included.

I doubt anyone is still using horses. It was too much of a pain in the ass to house, feed, train, shoe ect... Alot of fun to patrol on horseback though.

MrlQW.jpg

Quote from interview:
... My first unit was the 82nd where I stayed for 5 years. I was in the first Gulf War as a Private right out of basic. That was my first experience with the face of war. I then spent 5 years on an ODA with 7th Group training soldiers in Central and South America.

September of 2001 I went to Selection and made it into a Special Mission Unit. I had one deployment to Afghanistan and 11 to Iraq. I have been a part of 3 mass casualty events, killed or captured thousands of terrorists, been a part of hostage rescue operations, involved in the first battle of Falluja, conducted over 3,ooo combat operations, buried many friends, saved many Host Nation civilians from the brutality of terrorism and protected our way of life.

Bh6rQ.jpg

He has served a distinguished career in U.S. Army Special Operations for over 20 years, retiring in 2011.

He has spent his adult life in Special Operations and Special Mission Units. He is a Master Instructor in all aspects of special activities, missions and operations. He has over 6 years of private special activities consulting and is a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in:
Special Activities
  • Operational Preparations
  • Limited Signature Operations
  • Reconnaissance
  • Singleton Operations
  • High Threat Dignitary Protective Services
  • Extreme Long Range Designated Marksman
  • Advanced Precision Rifle Marksmanship
  • Combat Marksmanship
  • Live Fire CQB/CQC
  • Advanced Pistol Marksmanship
  • Advanced Carbine Marksmanship
  • Aerial Gunnery (Rifles, Shotguns)
  • Aerial Personnel and Vehicle Interdictions
  • Mechanical, Ballistic and Explosive Breaching
  • Freefall Instructor Programs
  • Infiltration/ Exfiltration Techniques
  • Ground Mobility
  • Unit Pre-Deployment Training
  • and Research and Development of Soldier Systems: Weapons, Ammunition, Thermal and Night Optics.

He has trained countless U.S. Special Operations forces, thousands of International Tier 1 Operators and Special Forces around the world. He is one of the handful of operators with over a decade of combat having served in multiple theaters from Bosnia and South America to recent war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Question: despite all the advanced methodes of geting from point A to point B (helos, GMVs, ATVs etc.), are hourses still used ?

To follow up what JJ said- There are FOBs that still have them, but they are more of a legacy/novelty item at this point. I'm 98% sure no one has used them in the last couple years. They aren't what Europeans or Americans would think of as horses, either. By definition(and by height), they are just barely horses- and they would be very skinny and thin legged in western terms as ponies.

Back