US Army SOF Photos

I'm seeing a lot more SCARs in the various SOF pic threads- are M4s getting phased out?

I'm seeing a lot more SCARs in the various SOF pic threads- are M4s getting phased out?

I wouldn't say phased out. Mostly the SCAR is just a good choice for guys looking to use 7.62 over 5.56 (never seen anyone using a SCAR in 5.56). You'll still see some guys using M14's and variations of the AR10, but those platforms find themselves more often in DMR/long gun roles (M14 EBR, SR25, M110). SCAR's have some issues with their stocks. They're a little bit easy to break; we've had two break in 3 months of use. However, there are a good many things I like about the SCAR. One of the big things being the charging handle (can be put on the left side/ acts as a forward assist). Still several guys use M4's. Just a matter of picking the right tool for the right job.

There was a time when SOF dudes had their backs turned to the camera on these pics. Now they're faces are in plain sight -- and they were taken just 3 days ago.

Begs the question: Will we see your faces on some of these "DoD released" photos anytime soon?

I wouldn't say phased out. Mostly the SCAR is just a good choice for guys looking to use 7.62 over 5.56 (never seen anyone using a SCAR in 5.56). You'll still see some guys using M14's and variations of the AR10, but those platforms find themselves more often in DMR/long gun roles (M14 EBR, SR25, M110). SCAR's have some issues with their stocks. They're a little bit easy to break; we've had two break in 3 months of use. However, there are a good many things I like about the SCAR. One of the big things being the charging handle (can be put on the left side/ acts as a forward assist). Still several guys use M4's. Just a matter of picking the right tool for the right job.
Great explanation! I have trouble differentiating between the SCAR-H and the 5.56 version. I recall reading here and in an article about the SEALs using the SCAR that they dumped the light and kept the Heavy- like you said.

I think the reason not too many guys use the light is that it kind of comes down to an apples vs. oranges argument. There's just no quantum leap between the two. The heavy just fills the role for guys that want something in 7.62 that isn't as heavy as other options and is comfortable to clear with. Given the choice between a SCAR-L and an M4 I would choose the M4. It's a rifle I know and there's a ridiculous amount of after-market parts out there for it. That and I'm stubborn and lazy.

I think the reason not too many guys use the light is that it kind of comes down to an apples vs. oranges argument. There's just no quantum leap between the two. The heavy just fills the role for guys that want something in 7.62 that isn't as heavy as other options and is comfortable to clear with. Given the choice between a SCAR-L and an M4 I would choose the M4. It's a rifle I know and there's a ridiculous amount of after-market parts out there for it. That and I'm stubborn and lazy.

I second that, clearing rooms with a SCAR-L is basically going to the gym and doing a shoulder workout. You're a lot slower with it as well when the fatigue rolls in you get sloppy. It packs big punch and the full auto makes it very versatile as a support weapon and long distance weapon. However the M4 is much lighter and more compact, it's a grunt's gun

I own a SCAR-L and have become quite partial to it actually. While the M4 will always have a special place for me, I will say this on the SCAR. The weight isn't great but not terrible, I didn't have to spend much more on it than I would buying a M4 and modifying it the way I wanted with collapsing sights and such, the free floating barrel is a plus, and the internal operating system isn't as complicated and is based of that of the AK so is more reliable. Hell after firing hundreds of rounds down range never had a jam, failure to fire, and little carbon build up after range time. No gun is gonna be the end all be all, but I'm happy with my SCAR-L.

That's cool man. Like I said before one of my only issues with the SCAR is the stock. It is no secret a DI AR will run dirtier, but keeping the prom queen happy will keep it running. In this case, as it is with all things, it comes down to shooter's preference. In my mind as long as the desired end-state is achieved all is well in the world.

796562_zps2ecad7f9.jpg

A coalition force members conduct a security patrol in order to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796544_zpsc8eb34d7.jpg

A coalition force member maintains security during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796543_zps14fb4ea5.jpg

Afghan National Police talk with a coalition force member during an Afghan led security patrol in order to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796538_zpsa36d2c99.jpg

A coalition force member sits in a light tactical all-terrain vehicle during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796536_zps25767d9c.jpg

A coalition force member maintains security during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796522_zps742a34c2.jpg

A coalition force member maintains security during a security patrol led by Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796521_zps068df668.jpg

A coalition force member maintains security after a controlled detonation during a security patrol led by Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796518_zps1c223215.jpg

A coalition force member maintains security during a security patrol led by Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796480_zps7c04e027.jpg

A coalition force member maintains security during a security patrol led by Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012 (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796446_zpsfc3401b4.jpg

A coalition force member talks with a villager during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796405_zpse234c2dc.jpg

Coalition force members engage insurgents during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police in order to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796387_zps00f2f8d9.jpg

Coalition force members engage insurgents during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police in order to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796359_zps31d513d7.jpg

A coalition force mine-resistant ambush-protected all-terrain vehicle during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police in order to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796339_zpsa24b0bd3.jpg

796338_zpsd9969784.jpg

A coalition force member sits in a light tactical all-terrain vehicle during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796334_zps730391b5.jpg

A coalition force member talks with villagers during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796333_zps6f7c80e0.jpg

796332_zps8363c28c.jpg

A coalition force member maintains communication during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796330_zps8bc32af6.jpg

796321_zps8b956358.jpg

796316_zpsdd6f2f5a.jpg

A coalition force member shakes hands with an Afghan National Policeman during an Afghan led security patrol to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

796310_zps70cbabac.jpg
A coalition force member maintains security during an Afghan led security patrol with Afghan National Police to deny enemy freedom of movement in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 7, 2012 (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

What are those new sights I'm seeing on the M4's these days? Don't recognize em. Deff digging the remote controlled .50 on the MRAP, great way to travel in style, see the sites, and kill a jihadi from the comfort of your own truck COD style!

Ok, looked it up, can see why it's becoming popular! Damn it I need a lottery win to get that and a few other toys for my rifle.

According to our echo's the antenna relocating cables have a tendency to break at the connector, so we have our long whips attached directly to our radios in the front of our kit. >90% of the time I can keep it bent out of the way. Sometimes I have to re-bend it, but it is nice to be able to quickly extend your antenna for better range if you have to. With a different mission and less distance from American to American I wouldn't be against relocating.

Back