US Army SOF Photos

tumblrmcj90frof41qlmsca.jpg

tumblr_miwyn3pOYy1qlmscao1_500.jpg

521736_467139106669966_969672772_n.jpg

An Afghan and coalition security force arrested Haqqani weapons supplier during an operation in Pul-e 'Alam, Logar province, Afghanistan, Aug. 28, 2012. The detained weapons supplier acquires weapons and improvised explosive devices for Haqqani fighters in Logar. In the days leading to his arrest, the weapons supplier was providing weapons and equipment to Haqqani fighters for an upcoming attack. The security force also detained one suspected insurgent and seized an assault rifle and ammunition as a result of the operation. source

My guess was for a display gift of "This flag was carried on a combat patrol in OEF, blah blah".
I have one that a guy took on a mission in his F16 over there, pretty cool.

The guys with the cutoff sleeves look like batt boys, but they can't be batt boys because a SGM would be having a heart attack if they saw that.

In some places it's SOP to use flags in lieu of VS-17 panels for marking friendly positions during the day. Some guys carry them for a "This Flag Was In Combat on ___ date in _____place" gift. I know of one guy that carries one between his plate and his body for good luck. Could be any number of things.

I would venture to say it's definitely a gift and serves no tactical purpose. Our guys did it all the time. I'm not sure who those guys are though. Definitely not Batt Boys. I don't know what other SOF do, but we have to turn those Cryes back in. I honestly don't understand why sleeve cutting got so popular other than to do something the conventional folk can't.

I would venture to say it's definitely a gift and serves no tactical purpose. Our guys did it all the time. I'm not sure who those guys are though. Definitely not Batt Boys. I don't know what other SOF do, but we have to turn those Cryes back in. I honestly don't understand why sleeve cutting got so popular other than to do something the conventional folk can't.

It's like taking the whole "you can't roll your sleeves" thing and cranking it up to 11.

Back