US Army SOF Photos

Eyepro for eyes.

I had a couple pairs (clear and tinted) of these in Astan and were wearing them when I got blown up - had I been wearing oakleys, etc I may have lost my vision but thanks to them sitting so close to my face all I suffered was abrasions to the area around them. Sooo they get a two thumbs up from me.

Crip

Photos courtesy of vor033 from MPnet

807559_zpsc800fa4b.jpg

807561_zpsd1a379a5.jpg

807563_zpsbc6490d4.jpg

807565_zps6c629caa.jpg

807569_zps0b3f94b8.jpg

807571_zps3d9b4670.jpg

807572_zpsee9ea31b.jpg

807574_zps828e5b69.jpg

807576_zpscf5cab47.jpg

807579_zpse61d9d83.jpg

807581_zpsafec5753.jpg

807583_zps3e4ead43.jpg

807585_zps39ef2d68.jpg

A coalition force member waits to fire the Mark 44 minigun during live fire training on a base in Farah province, Afghanistan, Dec. 29, 2012. The coalition forces conducting the training are deployed to train and mentor Afghan National Security Forces in their area of operations. Afghan National Security Forces have been taking the lead in security operations, with coalition forces as mentors, to bring security and stability to the people of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Pete Thibodeau/Released)

For all of you guys enamored with the Ops-Core helmet may I suggest looking at the Crye helmet as well/instead.

The TBI foundation here at Walter-Reed has been conducting a study of late using the Ops-Core, ACH, and the Crye helmet and from my understanding the retained pressures are significantly decreased in the Crye as opposed to the other two. I do not have the data available to me at this time due to the study not being concluded. However I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon with a representative from the foundation about the helmets as well as the Blast Gauge and will update this as I know more/have data.

Crip

For all of you guys enamored with the Ops-Core helmet may I suggest looking at the Crye helmet as well/instead.

The TBI foundation here at Walter-Reed has been conducting a study of late using the Ops-Core, ACH, and the Crye helmet and from my understanding the retained pressures are significantly decreased in the Crye as opposed to the other two. I do not have the data available to me at this time due to the study not being concluded. However I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon with a representative from the foundation about the helmets as well as the Blast Gauge and will update this as I know more/have data.

Crip

I found some info online..http://tnvc.com/shop/crye-precision-airframe-ballistic-helmet/

The Crye Precision AirFrame Ballistic Helmet shatters current ballistic helmet paradigms. Its radical design displays some truly innovative engineering while providing the operator impressive weight-savings, higher ballistic protection levels, increased modularity, and incredible comfort. Developed for special operations units, the AirFrame was mandated with dramatically reducing head-borne weight while exceeding the ACH Frag Threat Rating. In fact, a fully assembled AirFrame Ballistic Helmet weighs a whole 20% less than a standard ACH/MICH TC2002 while exceeding its frag threat by an average of 20%.
Ballistic helmet weight savings are extremely important to the operator. Anyone who has ever spent time in the field knows that added weight is a Warfighter’s worst enemy. Warfighters are currently so burdened with armor and mission essential gear that they are often smoked 20 minutes after leaving the wire. This amount of fatigue severely affects their ability to maintain situational awareness and poses a direct threat to their survivability on the battlefield. Crye Precision is one of the most innovative gear designers in the world. They are responsible for the creation of Multicam, the ubiquitous Combat Shirt and Combat Pant, as well as most of the armor and load carriage gear used by Tier1 Special Operations Forces. Their AirFrame Ballistic Helmet is one the latest “outside the box” designs to hit the market.
The AirFrame features a unique overlapping shell design that creates an integrated vent, providing passive cooling while reducing the damaging effects of explosive blast waves. The dual shells also allow the helmet to be assembled from shallower-drawn material in the mold. This allows the shell to maintain constant thickness ballistic integrity throughout. The AirFrame is utilizes the excellent Ops Core H-Nape Head-Loc chinstrap system and Team Wendy pads. It is compatible with a host of up-armored accessories that increase the ballistic coverage. It can be ordered as a kit with polymer side rails that allow for the addition of a host of other accessories, further increasing the AirFrame’s versatility. And of course, it is compatible with common ear pro systems.
The AirFrame is currently being issued to Tier1 Special Operations Forces and has seen extensive action down range. Its awesome features combined with its increased ballistic coverage and weight savings make it ideal for the lightfighter. Did we mention the comfort? The AirFrame is one of the most comfortable ballistic helmets to wear over extended periods. Crye Precision certainly cracked the code on this one! All AirFrame Helmets we sell come pre-drilled for 3-hole NVG Shrouds.

That was one thing I really disliked about the Steyr, I never liked shooting with the forward grip down but it was a little dodgy if you didn't.
I also use the the outside of the trigger guard.. also works well for me..

That's how I shot/patrolled with it, the only time I had the foregrip down was on parade or in the armoury.

However I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon with a representative from the foundation about the helmets as well as the Blast Gauge and will update this as I know more/have data.

Crip

Has there been a formal AAR of your PPE and how it dealt with the incident, is that something they do with everyone who sustains serious injury? In my current industry we do an ICAM investigation after every major incident and the effectiveness of the controls put in place to prevent injury would be one of the main parts of the investigation.

...Has there been a formal AAR of your PPE and how it dealt with the incident, is that something they do with everyone who sustains serious injury? In my current industry we do an ICAM investigation after every major incident and the effectiveness of the controls put in place to prevent injury would be one of the main parts of the investigation.

Not a formal AAR but my Team Sergeant and the Sr Bravo went through everything and my plates have been trashed. My MSA 2001 helmet, Smith Optics eyepro, TYR Tactical plate carrier and Mayflower Recce (417) chest rig survived virtually unscathed except for a couple scratches. My aidbag survived pretty well but took some small fragmentation holes to the bottom, the MK-13 which was shoulder strapped under my aidbag survived but my 16" Recce battle rifle didnt fair well at all: the barrel is bent, the Troy slick fore-rail is mangled at the distal end, the LA-5 was destroyed, and my IOR Valdada 1-10x has a cracked objective lens but the PMAG in the well and the lower itself managed to come out okay.

However, the SOF-T(w) TQ that was mounted on the left side of my chest rig failed (windless snapped) when it was applied to my proximal femur/inguinal crease.

Crip

However, the SOF-T(w) TQ that was mounted on the left side of my chest rig failed (windless snapped) when it was applied to my proximal femur/inguinal crease.

I don't imagine the warranty will cover that one... "You did what to it before using it?"

We've got an internal organisation called diggerworks who are led by a Colonel who recently was an Infantry Battalion CO. Their brief is to provide a proactive and responsive service of identifying soldier combat systems. Uniform, PPE, load carrying systems, hydration systems, rations etc etc. I'm hoping part of the proactive response is that they're formally looking at what is working and what isn't after serious incidents.

War bungees and tacos? I guess I'm behind the times man. Going to have to hit google in a bit. Lot of stuff on that helmet I've never seen before. I've got a minor mohawk with a counter-weight and strobe, but that's as far as I go.

The best story I ever heard in reference to buying gear was the following:

Backstory - was told this story by cadre while being JMPI'd during the course after MOS phase. I and some others were some of the last guys to get issued the old kevlars with the bunny ears and sweat bands (the PASGT maybe?). Cadre saw it and laughed. Then said this, " One of our guys went to a shooting school in Ireland a year or so back. When he got there he started pumping the instructor for information on what he thought were the best accessories (foregrips, lights, sights, etc) to get for an M4. The instructor replied simply, 'You'll use what God gave you, boy.'"

Was some of the best advice I ever received. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.

Alas, being the poor bastards that we are, we're never given enough money to bring in pretty bits of kit, even our SOF lads can't go full retard with spending money. Making do with what you're given is something we've gotten a little too used to.

One day though, we'll be pretty as shit.

War bungees and tacos? I guess I'm behind the times man. Going to have to hit google in a bit. Lot of stuff on that helmet I've never seen before. I've got a minor mohawk with a counter-weight and strobe, but that's as far as I go.

The best story I ever heard in reference to buying gear was the following:

Backstory - was told this story by cadre while being JMPI'd during the course after MOS phase. I and some others were some of the last guys to get issued the old kevlars with the bunny ears and sweat bands (the PASGT maybe?). Cadre saw it and laughed. Then said this, " One of our guys went to a shooting school in Ireland a year or so back. When he got there he started pumping the instructor for information on what he thought were the best accessories (foregrips, lights, sights, etc) to get for an M4. The instructor replied simply, 'You'll use what God gave you, boy.'"

Was some of the best advice I ever received. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.

Saw them Guys on the range with our Guys.. Rocking 417's suppressed.. I was on the a joining range and all we heard was the subsonic wosh's lol

Crip

Would also like to know if there is a decrease between the ACH and the Ops-Core as well, similar to the reduction due to design changes between the ACH and PASGT.

Back