US Army SOF Photos

34zxg89.jpg

Looks like a pre-OIF photo.

Terp wearing the patch?

uAQG027.jpg

A U.S. Special Operations Forces team leader meets with a local Afghan Local Police checkpoint commander in Arghandab district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan, May 23, 2013. The SOF team conducted the visit to ALP checkpoints in the area to ensure their progress in providing security to the local villages by denying insurgents access to the local population.

dw9oFhq.jpg

A U.S. Special Forces team sergeant pulls security during a meeting with an Afghan Local Police checkpoint commander in Zharay district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan, May 21, 2013. His team conducts regular visits to ALP checkpoints in the area to ensure their progress in providing security to the local villages by denying enemies of Afghanistan access to the local population.

aTRsG2k.jpg

A U.S. Special Operations Forces team member speaks with aircraft overhead during a meeting between U.S. Special Operations Forces team members and an Afghan Local Police checkpoint commander in Zharay district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan, May 21, 2013. The team conducts regular visits to ALP checkpoints in the area to ensure their progress in providing security to the local villages by denying enemies of Afghanistan access to the local population.

9c28v2y.jpg

U.S. Special Operations Forces team members pull security on the roof of a compound during a meeting with an Afghan Local Police checkpoint commander in Zharay district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan, May 21, 2013. The team conducts regular visits to ALP checkpoints in the area to ensure their progress in providing security to the local villages by denying enemies of Afghanistan access to the local population.

945259_zps78ca43c9.jpg

U.S. Special Operations Forces team members pull security on the roof of a compound during a meeting with an Afghan Local Police checkpoint commander in Zharay district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan, May 21, 2013. The team conducts regular visits to ALP checkpoints in the area to ensure their progress in providing security to the local villages by denying enemies of Afghanistan access to the local population

QBbin3o.jpg

A U.S. Special Operations Forces team leader shows a local Afghan boy a hand shake during a visit to a local checkpoint in Arghandab district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan, May 23, 2013. The SOF team conducted visit to ALP checkpoints in the area to ensure their progress in providing security to the local villages by denying insurgents access to the local population.

Just stumbled on this today. Man, this is just awesome...

3posMAd.jpg

In July 1989, Jason Everman was a member of Nirvana.
dubLqvT.jpg

trJkfmt.jpg

Kunar Province, Afghanistan. Everman likens his experiences with the Army Rangers and Special Forces to those of being in a band. “It’s a heightened state,” he says.

He had three drill sergeants, two of whom were sadists. Thank God it was the easygoing one who saw it. He was reading a magazine, when he slowly looked up and stared at Everman. Then the sergeant walked over, pointing to a page in the magazine. “Is this you?” It was a photo of the biggest band in the world, Nirvana. Kurt Cobain had just killed himself, and this was a story about his suicide. Next to Cobain was the band’s onetime second guitarist. A guy with long, strawberry blond curls. “Is this you?”

Everman exhaled. “Yes, Drill Sergeant.”

And that was only half of it. Jason Everman has the unique distinction of being the guy who was kicked out of Nirvana and Soundgarden, two rock bands that would sell roughly 100 million records combined. At 26, he wasn’t just Pete Best, the guy the Beatles left behind. He was Pete Best twice.

Then again, he wasn’t remotely. What Everman did afterward put him far outside the category of rock’n’roll footnote. He became an elite member of the U.S. Army Special Forces, one of those bearded guys riding around on horseback in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban.

Read more: The New York Times Magazine article

Australian and U.S. Special Forces successfully cleared an objective at the Urban Operations Training Facility at Shoalwater Bay Training Area during exercise Talisman Saber 2013. In the darkness of the night troops rolled in by Black Hawk helicopter and silently moved through the buildings to engage potential targets. This facility provides an excellent collective training opportunity to demonstrate the ability to execute any kind of crisis response where Special Forces are required. Exercise Talisman Saber (15 July -- 5 August 2013) is a major bilateral exercise designed to improve training and interoperability between Australian and United States military forces and other government agencies. Around 28,000 Australian and U.S. personnel are taking part in the 21-day exercise, currently being conducted in the Coral Sea and military training areas in central and northern Queensland. Supporting activities are also underway in the waters of the Timor and Arafura Seas, and throughout Queensland and the Northern Territory.

Video: Australian Department of Defence

Post #988 makes me miss the old M16A1, I really enjoyed that rifle.

Last edited:
Terp wearing the patch?

uAQG027.jpg

I don't know the captain in the picture, but I know the terp and the ALP guy on the right. I put the guy on the right through the ALP program and worked with him for another 7 months. I just about shit myself when I saw this picture.

But yes, terps wear all kinds of patches all the time. Guys give them patches, hats, team shirts, all kinds of stuff when they leave and terps love to wear them.

He's wearing a patagonia uniform, which has no place on the front for rank. I've personally never seen anyone do it, but that's where you put your rank on a regular army issue combat shirt.

He's wearing a patagonia uniform, which has no place on the front for rank. I've personally never seen anyone do it, but that's where you put your rank on a regular army issue combat shirt.

Only time I saw it was when CNN embedded with us for a few weeks.

Like a boss.

Question, though, for those who have worn this helmet with those chops attached - don't the chops restrict peripheral vision?

"As far as vision goes, I didn't feel that the Chops restricted my peripheral vision or field of view negatively. Having the opening at the front also contributes to a more 'open' feeling while still allowing the unobstructed use of a hydration tube, normal speech and eating."
http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye5.html

Back