ShadowSpear Cigar Thread

Oh man, Crux really did a nice job with this. I was talking with the owner yesterday and he told me it is the most expensive cigar they’ve produced, not retail but in R&D to put out the best cigar of the Crux line.

This one was a gift from him, I think they go on sale tomorrow. A great creamy taste that will be my Sunday morning coffee cigar for quite a while.

4B695C0E-095B-49DB-9CED-B6DDA61207BB.jpeg

Cycling thru a few brands I don't smoke as much during the summer because these are great coffee cigars.

Lots of Crux Epicure and Guild; along with pretty much anything from Tatuaje.

He came into the shop today and relayed this story. Was at the grocery store this morning and young woman approached him and asked if he was “his name”.

Yes, he replied - but I don’t recognize you. She told him that he was the detective who stopped her brothers from continuing to sexually assault her when she was a little girl.

Shook him up a bit. He spent many years investigation child sex crimes. Suffers from some PTSD from those days, I hope that today’s event reminds him that he did “good”.

@Ooh-Rah - I thought you had a "guide" somewhere, but I went though the thread and didn't see it.

Can you give some tips for people like me? By that I mean, interested but don't know where to start. I've smoked a few cigars and watched some videos on proper lighting and etc but don't really know what I'm doing. Any starter sets you recommend?

@Ooh-Rah - I thought you had a "guide" somewhere, but I went though the thread and didn't see it.

Can you give some tips for people like me? By that I mean, interested but don't know where to start. I've smoked a few cigars and watched some videos on proper lighting and etc but don't really know what I'm doing. Any starter sets you recommend?

Watch this space. I"ll respond later tonight.

In the meantime, PM me your name/address and I'll send you a small care-package of sticks to try.

You won't be disappointed!

Last night I enjoyed my second Davidoff Late Hour. I cant believe that something may have taken the cake for the best cigar I can smoke on a somewhat monthly basis, usurping Padron 1964. Heresy!

I am in the same boat, been smoking a couple of local brands, but still haven't a clue.

Davidoff Late Hour

Ah ha! Finally I have found something I can send you in response to the cool stuff you have sent me!
My local cigar store has an absolutely amazing selection of Davidoff (and Padron for that matter!)

For newer cigar smokers I have posted this link a few times. Highly recommended reading ....

A Beginner's Guide to Cigar Smoking

A few random thoughts:
- A regular guillotine cutter is usually fine.
- Toast the foot of the cigar before lighting. (use a match to heat the tip of the cigar before lighting)
- Try not to inhale any flame into your cigar. Typically I can light my cigar with a torch lighter without puffing at all.
- Regarding lighters. I like a single torch light for lighting and correcting any runs.
- The double/triple flames are great for windy days though.
- Whenever I can get away with it, I like to use cigar matches.
- It's not a cigarette. When done, don't blunt it out. Just sit it down let and it die a natural death.
- Ideally you should puff every 30-60 seconds.

No need to buy a fancy humidor. (my wife wishes I'd take that advice!). A quality ziplock bag with a 67% Boveda pack is all you need.

I'm sure there is more, but this all off of the top of my head.

As far as what to buy? Sites like Cigar International and JR CIgars often have grab-bags of great sticks for various prices. I'll keep an eye on those sites and post the occasional deal when I see it.

Don't let yourself get caught up in thinking it's all about price. I've tasted some really expense sticks that are not nearly as tasty sticks that were in the $10 to $15 range. A great example of that is Davidoff. They market themselves as a luxury stick, and they are very very good....but there are a couple of lines they have (Escuro comes to mind) that taste like moldy mushrooms to me. Some folks love them though....it's all about what tastes good to you!

Regarding Cubans (because people always ask). In almost every case, if someone gives you a Cuban they got from a friend who got it in Mexico....it's likely fake. Trust me on this. Same goes with most websites claiming to sell Cubans. Don't let yourself get wrapped around the axle on these things! Let me know if you want to try/buy legit Cubans and I'll set you up....learn to walk before you run though, good Cubans are a slippery slope! $$$

@DA SWO - same offer goes to you as I made to @Sendero . PM me an address and I will send you a care package of some of my favorite sticks!

To add, I've never had a bad Padron, so if you're still looking for a cigar you really enjoy, go get a 1964 or a 50th Anniversary. Even their lower priced 4000 Series are a fantastic bang for the buck.

Tonight I checked out a cigar store just outside of Dallas owned by a guy who does business with the owners of the B&M I go to in Minnesota. He set me up in the private lounge with free bar, WiFi, bathroom, etc. Just 3 of us back here telling stories about cigars and ...stuff. Smoking an Atabey. Guys, this cigar is probably the greatest tasting stick I’ve ever smoked. Just beyond perfect.

Back