ShadowSpear Cigar Thread

@JustMe - with all respect to a fellow aficionado - Part of the brilliance of the bovada packs is that they can lay on top of the cigars. The biggest rule with them is to not mix humidity levels.

@SkrewzLoose - that is a very good deal you got there! I've smoked most of those sticks and I'll tell you that the Alec Bradley Prensado and the CAO Brazilia are nearly worth the price alone. Enjoy!

So, I ordered a 10 pack of 69% and a 10 pack of 72% Boveda packets. I'm on a ship for the next 4 months so my plan was to see which humidity level works best. Your advice is to do so without mixing the 2 numbers?

@JustMe - with all respect to a fellow aficionado - Part of the brilliance of the bovada packs is that they can lay on top of the cigars. The biggest rule with them is to not mix humidity levels.
Really? I stand corrected then. I had a couple cigars that went funky on me and I assumed that was the culprit...

So, I ordered a 10 pack of 69% and a 10 pack of 72% Boveda packets. I'm on a ship for the next 4 months so my plan was to see which humidity level works best. Your advice is to do so without mixing the 2 numbers?

Yeah---it really depends on the conditions you are storing them in. If you are going to use the humidor they sent you, I"d use the 72% for sure. What is your timeframe before you set sail? Quite honestly, if you don't have time to properly season your humidor, your best bet would be to put the sticks in a quality zip lock bag with one 69% boveda pack - they will be fine until you get back. If you have time, get a couple of 84% packs (send me a PM and I'll drop a couple in the mail for you) and let them sit in the new humidor for at least a week, then put the cigars in them with the 72%.

What part of the country do you live in? If it gets cold and snowy, I'd still go with the ziplock solution until you get back and can properly monitor the humidity. BTW - send me a note when you get back, I'll send you a couple of sticks that will be worth the wait!

I'm OCONUS (middle of the ocean) for another 4 months. I'll be using the humidor they sent me. I forgot to mention I also purchased a package of seasoning wipes as well. Would you still recommend what you suggested above? If so, I'll shoot you a PM.

ETA: CONUS, I'll be in San Diego

Well considering you are currently ocean bound, I don't expect that humidity should be a problem. Yours in a unique situation - here is what I recommend:

- wipe down the inside of the new humidor with the wipes
- put the sticks in the humidor along w/one boveda packet

You should probably be fine ... same goes when you get back to San Diego - in fact you may not even need additional humidity out there - A few things to be aware of:
- Don't store anything but cigars in your humidor (lights/cutters/etc can go somewhere else0
- Check your sticks once in a while...take a gentle bite on the end of one...crunchy? needs an extra packet (unlikely in your situation). But...if it is really soggy, or your stick won't stay lit, it may be too humid.

One think you want to order is a quality digital hydrometer...don't trust the analog work, they don't work well unless your conditions never change. Are you going to be able to smoke on ship? If so, the more sticks you can put in the box the better.

Let me know if you need anything...my office looks like a damn cigar shop, would be happy to send you anything you need. (to include some additional sticks)

Sampler + Humidor + Seasoning wipes + Humidity packets all showed up yesterday. I seasoned the humidor according to your instructions, Ooh-Rah . After the initial seasoning, would you recommend continuing to do so on a periodic basis and if so, how often?
Sticks are now in the humidor and I was instantly reminded just how much I love the smell of good cigars. I can't wait to start burning through these.

@SkrewzLoose -

Once effectively seasoned, you should not need to do so again if you keep properly humidified. I put a digital hydrometer in your care package (sent today) that should keep you in the know. Anywhere between 65% and 71% and you're golden - difficult as it may be (the sniff test and all!), only open it when you need it. Let me know when package arrives, I'll walk you thru setting up the hydrometer.

One additional note, the more sticks in the box the better. Easier to keep a full box in good condition than a near empty one. You are a test case for me, I've no experience with cigars on ship -

@SkrewzLoose -

Once effectively seasoned, you should not need to do so again if you keep properly humidified. I put a digital hydrometer in your care package (sent today) that should keep you in the know. Anywhere between 65% and 71% and you're golden - difficult as it may be (the sniff test and all!), only open it when you need it. Let me know when package arrives, I'll walk you thru setting up the hydrometer.

One additional note, the more sticks in the box the better. Easier to keep a full box in good condition than a near empty one. You are a test case for me, I've no experience with cigars on ship -
See, it's comments like that that keep me online looking for the next deal. You're a terrible influence on my finances!!
:D:D

See, it's comments like that that keep me online looking for the next deal. You're a terrible influence on my finances!!
:D:D

@SkrewzLoose -

Just wait til you get back on dry land - I will introduce you to my contact who'll help you pick out wonderful smokes from that little island south is Miami!

BTW - I've been thinking about your situation being on ship. With the air conditioning and air scrubbers, etc, I'm guessing it can get pretty dry out there. If you have not done so yet, I'd recommend ordering a few additional humidipaks as back up. The ones you have are good until they begin to dry out...

Last edited:
Anyone else following the Cigar Aficionado Top 25 of 2015?

I have a problem with a Rocky Patel (#7) being ahead of a Liga Privada (#10)

So far I've tried everything on the list -

Link to the article

upload_2015-12-17_7-17-42.png

@SkrewzLoose -

Just wait til you get back on dry land - I will introduce you to my contact who'll help you pick out wonderful smokes from that little island south is Miami!

BTW - I've been thinking about your situation being on ship. With the air conditioning and air scrubbers, etc, I'm guessing it can get pretty dry out there. If you have not done so yet, I'd recommend ordering a few additional humidipaks as back up. The ones you have are good until they begin to dry out...
I have a 10 pack of 69% and a 10 pack of 72%, I think I'm good for now on the false humidity. And yes, you're absolutely correct about the a/c system on the ship. I'll keep an eye on everything.
I'm also realizing I'm a complete amateur at this. I'm a beer guy, my wife is big into wine. The differences in cigars seem (to me at least) much more subtle almost to the point of not being able to tell the difference. Is there something to it or does it just take time?

The differences in cigars seem (to me at least) much more subtle almost to the point of not being able to tell the difference. Is there something to it or does it just take time?

I learned cigars the way I learned coffee - taste and compare. No matter what cigar you are going to smoke, check out Cigar International or JR (or if it is a high quality stick Halfwheel) and read up on it...if for no other reason to find out what flavor profiles it has. Then smoke it and taste for those profiles...sometimes it can be in intensified by retro-haling (lightly blowing smoke thru the nose). If you don't know what grass tastes like, eat some when you get home. Just like you would cashew, Cream, etc.

If you get something from Ammonia/Dry/Harsh at the beginning of a cigar - it is probably a shitty stick. Chuck it. You will typically get this towards the end of most sticks - that's when you know it is done. The smoke will get harsh, and you will taste that ammonia flavor...with practice you will be able to get good a predicting when you are about 'there' and let the stick go out naturally.

cigar-flavors-wheel-large.png

Somehow my my sponged tray sprung a leak and dripped Propylene Glycol solution into the bottom of my Prometheus humidor. A number of really good sticks are ruined (many like the pic you see here) and the bottom of the humidor is soaked.

That's a Liga T-52, 2015 TAA, Rocky 50th Anniversary and an Illusion cccj - more just like that in another wooden humidor - not sure if they will ever be smokable.

10609458_10208332316130868_2426401911520744673_n.jpg

Somehow my my sponged tray sprung a leak and dripped Propylene Glycol solution into the bottom of my Prometheus humidor. A number of really good sticks are ruined (many like the pic you see here) and the bottom of the humidor is soaked.

That's a Liga T-52, 2015 TAA, Rocky 50th Anniversary and an Illusion cccj - more just like that in another wooden humidor - not sure if they will ever be smokable.

J, what's a little antifreeze, I thought you were a Marine and Marines drink antifreeze with breakfast?:rolleyes::wall:

Sorry for your loss...

Back