ShadowSpear Cigar Thread

Just received an awesome care package. Thank you Ooh-Rah !! I have a nice collection built up now that should last me through the end of deployment.

Thank you Mr. Mailman!

12465864_10208350056414364_7126232206160308082_o.jpg

I stand by my statement. See the difference in those 2 descriptions?
The first one sounds like a Marine is going to smoke his Dad who was rated 97 #1 2015
The second clearly describes someone enjoying a fine cigar.

:D:D

Anyone have a specific whiskey they like to pair cigars with that doesn't break the bank? Whiskey and cigars by the grace of god mutually complement each other, and I was wondering if one of you aficionados out there found one that worked noticeably well. I got this Jameson Caskmates from Secret Santa, and it is a hell of a whiskey by itself and with a cigar.

Bourbon - lower cost.
Go with Maker's Mark or Bullit Burbon

A little higher end, try Knob Creek.

Don't go super cheap, it will taint the taste or a good cigar.

Makers is a little spicy for me. I like a real mellow whiskey for a smoother, mellowed cigar.

I've had Bullit Rye so I think I'll try that Bullit Bourbon when I find another cigar that's worth it. The cigar I'm smoking now is a smaller one that a buddy brought back from his honeymoon in Jamaica. I'm not knowledgeable on it yet but this one's a little sweeter and smaller than normal.

Hmmm... try Pendelton or Snake River (Canadian Style Whiskies), or in Bourbons, 1792 if you can find it, and if you really want a treat don't mind spending a little extra and can find either one - Blanton's or Pappy VanWinkle.... the Evan Miller is good, but not as good (to me) as the ones I posted. Because you can't get OOLA or Neversweat or Bighorn....

for Scotches I'd say Oban, Auchentoshen, Bunnahabhain, Nadurra, or Glenmorangie, worth every penny as your wallet screams for it's health...

Last edited:
Anyone have a specific whiskey they like to pair cigars with that doesn't break the bank? Whiskey and cigars by the grace of god mutually complement each other, and I was wondering if one of you aficionados out there found one that worked noticeably well. I got this Jameson Caskmates from Secret Santa, and it is a hell of a whiskey by itself and with a cigar.
The Macallan. $60 a bottle on average but is fantastic with a cigar. I have not tried the 10 year Oak Barrel one that is cheaper but The Macallan 12 year is delicious.

It's a Scotch Whiskey smooth as a baby's bottom that doesn't completely break the bank. My personal favorite so far! But I am new to the world of whiskey's (only tried 9 or 10 different ones).

It's a Scotch Whiskey smooth as a baby's bottom that doesn't completely break the bank. My personal favorite so far! But I am new to the world of whiskey's (only tried 9 or 10 different ones).

Macallan is good, try Bunnahabhain or Auchentoshen or Nadurra... not bank breakers but worth every penny and you'll spend a few.

Definitely Macallan over Glenlivet, which I've always found to be a bit over rated. That said, with a heavier cigar (think Maduro), it will balance with Glenlivet surprising well...almost too well.

Definitely Macallan over Glenlivet, which I've always found to be a bit over rated. That said, with a heavier cigar (think Maduro), it will balance with Glenlivet surprising well...almost too well.

The Glenlivet specialty and long aged Scotches are very good, anything under their 15 is a bit raw, except for the Nadurra. Try the Bunnahababhain, or Laphroig both are really, really good... Do you prefer Speyside, Islay, Highland, Lowland, Island or Campbeltown as your region of choice? I have always wanted to try the Caol Ila (Islay, 15 y/0) but it is nearly impossible to get in the US.

(At home I call the Bunnahabhain - Bunny Brains, and the Laphroaig - Leapfrog)

Try this link to one of the best sites I've found (yes, it's Brit) The Whisky Exchange

The Glenlivet specialty and long aged Scotches are very good, anything under their 15 is a bit raw, except for the Nadurra

Agree with this completely. Since the OP was asking about budget, I didn't bother getting into the over 12 year versions.

anything under their 15 is a bit raw, except for the Nadurra
I had thought that the Naurra is their 15 year. Will have to take another look.

I am much more knowledgeable about bourbons than I am scotches, so thank you for the link. Hell, I buy my cigars from Great Britain, no reason I cannot get my whiskey there too!

Agree with this completely. Since the OP was asking about budget, I didn't bother getting into the over 12 year versions.

I had thought that the Naurra is their 15 year. Will have to take another look.

I am much more knowledgeable about bourbons than I am scotches, so thank you for the link. Hell, I buy my cigars from Great Britain, no reason I cannot get my whiskey there too!

Nadurra is a specialty, Davis/ Glenlivet product, non filtered and cask strength.... it is a much different Scotch than their regular Single malts.....

You can find a great variety of really good Scotch here n the States... but you have to go over there for the stuff that doesn't leave a region.... and is so far above anything else that you want to start a smuggling operation...

Back