ShadowSpear Cigar Thread

Evening fellow smokers -

Good night tonight, just warm enough to sit out on the patio and enjoy a Davidoff Escurio with Knob Creek (s) :ROFLMAO:

Evening fellow smokers -

Good night tonight, just warm enough to sit out on the patio and enjoy a Davidoff Escurio with Knob Creek (s) :ROFLMAO:

Tonight was brisk, so I ended up at the local cigar bar instead. They had a great live band playing and a good crowd. The pairing was Quatro Cinco and Angels Envy bourbon.

I've still yet to try anything from Davidoff, would you recommend the escurio?

would you recommend the escurio

Davidoff makes a great stick - the Escurio is one of their best at a decent price. Beware buying them off the net unless you are familiar with the vendor, most of the warehouse places don't store these like they should -

Does your local B&M (brick and mortar) carry Davidoff? If so, you are fortunate - because of the cost, (they average about $20/stick) not everyone does.

Send me a PM and I'd be happy to send you one...and maybe a few stow-aways from that island south of Miami!

I've been pretty busy and haven't been home much since graduation, but there is the new Davidoff store in Tampa I need to visit.

I went to their soft opening, but they didn't have their liquor license so it was a short visit. I regreted the AVO I purchased that night.

Davidoff store would be outstanding! My B&M has a healthy display - but it would be great to visit a store. A few recommendations:

- Escurio
- Triple R
- Triple T
Colorado Claro

Just enjoyed an Alec Bradley Tempus. Cannot tell you the last time I had an Alec Bradley, this one was really good. Any other recommendations in this line? (I'm very familiar with the Presidio)

I've worked out a pretty good afternoon schedule for myself.
Lunch
Work out
Maybe shower, maybe not
Dinner
Cigar
Shower (depending on the above)

Tonight I had an Oliva Serie O. It was great. Maybe it's my unrefined palate, but this is the first cigar that I was able to taste certain flavors vice feeling like I just had a bunch of smoke in my mouth. I looked up a review before hand and what I tasted was pretty spot on. It was earthy and spicy and an all around good smoke. I'm adding this to my 'to buy' list for when my samplers are gone. Any others here fans of the Oliva Serie line?

Evening all...Cuban San Christobi De La Habano. Just puttering around my garage and it seems the perfect stick to do so with.

Easy draw, slow burn, and well constructed- 1/2 inch ash so far, perfectly even too.

12783634_10208877100150128_4451451273180030175_o.jpg

@tweeder - watch that mailbox...incoming!

(left to right)
Juan Lopez #4 - Cuba
Roman Alonez - Cuba (one of my very favorites)
Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary
Rocky Patel 50 - One of the finest (if not the finest) stick Rocky put out
Tatajue Black Label - Ya got to know a guy to get these. (fortunately you do!)

I packed with a humidipak, so you can leave in the bag for indefinite period...or just put into your humidor.

Good smoking!

12800215_10208877593002449_6980136553775088989_n.jpg

Very stoked to light this up. Davidoff put out a box-pressed Nicaraguan toro -image.jpeg

Last edited:
How do you think the (future) Cuban imports (that is from Cuba) will stack up with the American market?

How do you think the (future) Cuban imports (that is from Cuba) will stack up with the American market?

Great question - a few things you need to consider:

- Because of the embargo, and the fact the general population of the United States spends quite a bit of money on quality non-Cuban cigars, a number of the quality rollers from Cuba have left and gone to Nicaragua and Honduras. (Davidoff, Drew Estates, and Tatauje for examples).

- The Cuban cigar market is already running at full capacity - many of the best sticks need to have their tobacco aged for years, the US has found ways to buy Cuban cigars on the net now, and so demand is beginning to tax available resources. A good example being the Cuban Montecristo #2 - that particular stick has long been the gold standard of quality - each box hand rolled, inspected, and packed by one person. Not so much anymore - now a particular box may have cigars in it that have been rolled by 2 or 3 different people, it is almost assembly line like.

- Currently it is legal to possess Cuban cigars in the U.S., but it is not yet legal to sell in bulk. That is why you do not see Cigar International and JR Cigars selling them online yet, but word is they are beginning to hoard them, just awaiting the green light.

- There are MANY cigars that from countries outside of Cuba that far exceed the average Cuban cigar in both quality and taste. Davidoff being a great example, and as I mentioned above, sticks from the Liga Privada line, Tatuaje, and Illusione.

All that said. Once the embargo is ended, Cuban cigars will flood the US Market. And most will be crap. Internet retailers will sell shit-sticks and put fake Cuban bands on them. Corner tobacco stores (cigarette) will have mini-humidors, uncared for, full of "Cuban" cigars. They will be everywhere.

Personally, I would recommend finding a quality online retailer outside of CONUS (most are in Switzerland) and start a relationship with them. There are a few in particular that I can think of who will ensure you are only sent quality sticks, and will back that promise up. Let your buddies buy garbage, over produced, and possibly fake sticks at 7-11, you make sure your Cuban sticks are worth smoking. Otherwise don't waste your time or money.

Anyone reading this is welcome to PM me and I will be happy to send you some recommendations. (and possibly even a cigar or two!)

@tweeder - watch that mailbox...incoming!

(left to right)
Juan Lopez #4 - Cuba
Roman Alonez - Cuba (one of my very favorites)
Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary
Rocky Patel 50 - One of the finest (if not the finest) stick Rocky put out
Tatajue Black Label - Ya got to know a guy to get these. (fortunately you do!)

I packed with a humidipak, so you can leave in the bag for indefinite period...or just put into your humidor.

Good smoking!

Thank you again! I'll PM some pics when I can!

Back