ShadowSpear Cigar Thread

Cuban cigar missile has just hit the homestead!

From the left: Cohiba BHK 56, Partigas E2, El Rey de Mundo Choix Supreme, Ramon Aloones Small Club Corona, San Cristobal de Cuba El Principe, and 2 customs.

IMG_1749%201_zpsfudcdsus.jpg

I have been on an Alec Bradley kick lately. I have always enjoyed them but for some reason I have been choosing them to smoke more often lately. I highly recommend the Presnado Cojo Churchill.

Thought this was interesting in regards to the sour taste you can get towards the end of a cigar - I understand the cause, but never knew that the 'cut' can affect it - thought I'd share.

(From Cigar Aficionado magazine)
The buildup of tar, moisture and nicotine can heavily affect a cigar's flavor.

Tobacco is like a natural filter. With every puff you take, certain properties of the cigar are captured in the tobacco. As the moisture builds up, the intact flavors are heightened toward the end of the smoke.

The way you cut a cigar can increase or decrease the concentration of flavor towards the end. A narrow opening at the head of the cigar, caused by a punch or wedge cut, acts as a collecting point for the tar and moisture. A broad opening, cut, for example, by a scissors or guillotine, will decrease the flavor buildup.

Just received my 2nd 'care package' from someone in this thread. I now have a fine collection started, I just have to start smoking them.
Thank you both, I look forward to being able to repay the favors once I'm back on terra firma.

ETA: Interesting, this article points to the build up of tar/nicotine as having the potential to sour the taste of the cigar as it nears the end of its life. Granted, the article is 5.5 years old, but I wonder which one holds true seeing as how they're both from the same publication.

Last edited:
Smoked the Crux classic tonight as I watched the sunset on the smoke deck. I was worried about the smoke deck being crowded with people I don't like (people in general) but it was actually quite nice. Checking out halfwheel before smoking really helped out. Thanks for that suggestion.
Also, finally got my humidor, or more accurately the Ziploc bag inside my humidor to 68% humidity. A funny story there. I was rearranging the sticks today before I went out to smoke. I pulled them all out and pulled out the hydrometer as well. In a matter of about 3 minutes (while I pulled all the cellophane off the cigars that still had it) the hydrometer went from registering 68% in my ziploc bag to registering 54% when in the open air of my workshop. That just goes to show how much of a struggle it's been to properly condition the air where my sticks are living. It's nice to know that I finally have it where I need it.

Smoked the Macanudo from my original sampler tonight. Again, it was a really pleasant evening on the smoke deck, devoid of any miscreants and ne'erdowells. There was no indication as to what kind of Macanudo it was and I knew trying to look it up wold be an exercise in futility. Anyhow, I enjoyed the smoke, I am slowly learning how to tell the different types of cigars apart.
Also, I finally have my humidor holding steady at 67% humidity. Victory!!
Regarding the article a few posts up, do you guys have preferences on center punch, v-cut or guillotine style cutters for your sticks?

To offer a review of the whiskey X SF Med offered, I bought some Pendleton, and that stuff is dang good. I waited to drink it about three times before I decided to write about it so that I had a consistent review of it. I didn't like it at first as it is incredibly smooth to begin with, but it has a harsh bite at the end. The closer to the bottom of the glass you get, the more you notice the subtle pecan taste and the less harsh the bite is. Definitely goes well it's a cigar around a fire. The other stuff mentioned is not really available in my area.

To offer a review of the whiskey X SF Med offered, I bought some Pendleton, and that stuff is dang good. I waited to drink it about three times before I decided to write about it so that I had a consistent review of it. I didn't like it at first as it is incredibly smooth to begin with, but it has a harsh bite at the end. The closer to the bottom of the glass you get, the more you notice the subtle pecan taste and the less harsh the bite is. Definitely goes well it's a cigar around a fire. The other stuff mentioned is not really available in my area.

I love the bite! What cigar did you pair it with?

No the other bourbons I mentioned are local to the MT/ID/WA area... but damn are they good... I'm waiting till the distilleries have 15-20 years under their belts to get some of the back cask stuff...

It's 0340 here right now, so no cigars for me. If the Panthers win, maybe I'll have one later today...

Thought I would share this fun find -

A prototype of the Drew Estate Herrera Norteno, this is one of the sticks that was sampled out to buyers and vendors before it went into production.

Not sure when I will smoke it, but it is so cool I wanted to post a pic!

So THIS...
image.jpeg

Eventually became this!
cs-hen.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently going through a couple of samplers that I ordered in an attempt to find what I like and then start ordering more specific sticks based on that. Is this a sound approach?
Also, what is everyone's take on infused cigars? I was thinking about picking up a box of the Nub Cafe Sampler or the Java by Drew Estate.
Any opinions on these in particular or infused cigars in general?

ETA: Also the Drew Estate Tabak Especial

With infused, just remember that you are not smoking a traditional style cigar - infused can smell good, but I think they are more novelty than anything else. That said, the Acid line of sticks pretty much saved Drew Estates until they put out the Liga Privada and Unico lines.

Java is good - kind of a milk chocolate aftertaste
The Tabak is really good - especially with coffee
At some point you will try and Acid, everyone does. Personally I hate them - and the smell. If you are smoking somewhere enclosed, please do everyone a favor and do not light up an acid - wait until you are outdoors.

One thing with anything infused, keep them separate from your regular sticks - it will not take long for cigars to take on the infused smell. If you are going to store them in the same humidor, at a minimum put them in a ziplock bag with a small humdipak - double zip-locking is best!

Back